Early Church Fathers

• Thread starter Thread starter anon49823460
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
A

anon49823460

I’m very interested in reading the works of the early church fathers. Does anyone have a suggestion of good books or where to start?
Thanks!

And then there are my friends from Ignatius Press:

ignatius.com/search.aspx?SID=1&

25 books in one search - Start with this one (We called this the “SI Institute Phone Book” in printed form):

The Early Church Fathers on CD-Rom
The historic Edinburgh edition’s entire 38-volume set of the Ante-Nicene, Nicene, Post-Nicene Fathers and other ancient writers covering hundreds of writings on various subjects. Search any word, words or phrase with our new Folio Technology search engine. This new search capability will enhance your search, enabling you to select the exact section you wish to search, and it providesthe number of hits per article, and ranks the top 50 hits by relevancy. If the type is too small, increase the view size for easier reading. This complete package is a wonderful research tool. Includes Clement, Ignatius, Barnabus, Justine (Martyr), Irenaeus, Tertullian, Cyprian, Dionysius, Polycarp, Early Liturgies, Apocryphal Gospels, Gregory the Great, Origen, and many more.

ignatius.com/ViewProduct.aspx?SID=1&Product_ID=1128&SKU=ECFA-D&ReturnURL=search.aspx%3f%3fSID%3d1%26SearchCriteria%3dchurch+fathers

With some exceptions and additions, this was the reading for the Patristics Course at the St. Ignatitius Institute.

Sunday Sermons of the Great Fathers
A Manual of Preaching, Spiritual Reading, and Meditation

his beautifully bound 4-volume, hard-cover set is a superb series for preaching, spiritual reading and meditation. It contains the Gospel reading for each Sunday and Feast Day, and parallel Gospel texts, along with several sermons for each Gospel from both early Eastern and Western Fathers of the church, including Ambrose, John Chrysostom, Cyril of Alexandria, Leo the Great, Ephraem, Augustine and more. Also, each sermon is followed by the Catena Aurea (Golden Chain) of St. Thomas Aquinas. There is no better way to enter the mind of the early Church Fathers and the spirit of Sacred Scripture than this series.
Keyed to old liturgical calendar.

ignatius.com/ViewProduct.aspx?SID=1&Product_ID=821&SKU=SSGF-H&ReturnURL=search.aspx%3f%3fSID%3d1%26SearchCriteria%3dchurch+fathers

The first one is an absolute must, as it’s a 38 volume set! the second one is only if you’re interested in preaching or you want to see what those congregations were fed

Ignatius Press has had the rights to all of Cardinal Ratzinger’s (now Pope Benedict XVI) books in the USA since the mid 1980’s. Their orthodoxy is therefore unquestioned, and you can trust anything they put publish.

Goodnight and God Bless.

In Christ, Michael

Lets see as I pull out my copy of “The Fathers of the Church - an introduction to the first Christian teachers” by Mike Aquilina. He gives a short bio of the Fathers and a few moderate excerpts from their writings. I’m almost done with it then I’ll start reading those who interest me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back