East and West - Atonement

• Thread starter Thread starter Maragal
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Maragal

Ive become super interested in Atonement theories, and would love a discussion about the views in the East and West. Im particularly interested in Christus Victor, Recapitulation, and Moral Influence. Im RC but with a leaning towards the East!

What do you wish to accomplish by your fervent interest in theories (of Atonement)?

(You may have guessed that this is not an academic question! 🙂 )

geo

Im not sure I understand your question lol! Its a topic of interest to me…I love theology and thinking about our Lord. I know others do too! So, I love hearing others perspectives and learning.

Last edited:
I find the theories interesting as well. When I heard a Protestant friend say “God poured out His wrath on Christ” it just didn’t sit right with me. I can not see Christ being a substitute for us and receiving God’s wrath. What ii can see though is the Christus Victor and Moral Influence theories. Those make much more sense if you read and study all four Gospel accounts regarding Christ’s Passion.

Last edited:
I love hearing others perspectives and learning.
To learn is to do…

To study is to learn about…

Curiosity is appositional to profound need…

If you want to know, you must need to know…

I have topical interests too…

geo

What I can see, though, is the Christus Victor and Moral Influence theories…
Is there a needed practical dimension in seeing this?

Or is it merely a satisfying refutation of Calvin?

geo

Last edited:
It really has nothing to do with Calvin at all. It is just my thoughts when I consider all four Gospel accounts of Christ’s Passion. There can be no doubt he showed the way morally and there can be no doubt that He defeated sin. Calvin is someone who came along a long time later with all kinds of theologies.

Theology is often seen as an intellectually theoretical enterprise that somehow establishes “eternal truths”, perhaps, but is not of much practical import…

Atonement can fall into this understanding…

geo

Received this book today, really looking forward to it! Apparently he does a good job of discussing various theories, while his focus is Recapitulation. (Please Note: This uploaded content is no longer available.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back