Eastern Christianity

• Thread starter Thread starter Michael16
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Michael16

In my search for a Christian identity, I studied the Eastern traditions a little bit. What I found interesting was the tradition of Hesychasm, the Philokalia and the Jesus Prayer.

The Jesus Prayer is pretty straightforward and easy to apply. Hesychasm is pretty cool; though I think it’s inapplicable outside a monastery. IMHO. The Philokalia I like as well; though it doesn’t seem compatible with Catholic traditions.

I’m wondering if anyone else out there, especially our Eastern Rite Catholics; thinks of our Eastern lung, what draws you and what our Eastern brethren can bring to the table.

God bless you all

The Philokalia I like as well; though it doesn’t seem compatible with Catholic traditions.
Interesting - most of the Saints included in the Philokalia are pre-Schism (before 1054). I believe they would be considered saints in the Roman Catholic church as well.

You should look at the forums over on byzcath.org.

While it’s not all that active anymore, the archived discussions are full of information.

For me personally, the sheer awe the first time I attended the Divine Liturgy. You could have knocked me over with a feather when it dropped from chant to plain text for the Communion prayer. And the more I learned, the more I was sucked in by the Eastern theology.

hawk

I think the OP switched Philokalia with Hesychasm. As I recall, it is Hesychasm that, er, provokes interesting reactions.

No, I didn’t switch. Hesychasm is the meditative repetition of the Jesus Prayer combined with lepsis; the ever vigilant watchfulness against sin and temptation.

For me it was the Liturgy that first caught my attention. Now as a full time Byzantine Catholic I have become, as @dochawk said, “sucked” into Eastern theology.

ZP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back