Eastern Orthodox / Catholic Spirituality

• Thread starter Thread starter JGC
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
J

JGC

I have noticed much debate and comment on Eastern Catholicism / Orthodoxy on these boards and would be interested to know what aspects of Eastern Orthodox / Catholic life, if any, individuals use in their own spiritual life

I strongly agree that the goal of the Christian Life is theosis, or deification. I use icons every day, in fact I prefer them to western art, statues, crucifixes etc. The Jesus Prayer (Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on me, a sinner) is an integral part of my prayer life. I am starting to read the Philokalia. The Orthodox Way by Bishop Kallistos Ware is one of my favourite books.

Any comment?

Glory to Jesus Christ!

I like to think that Byzantine Spirituality is similar to what we might call a Charism in western Christianity. Thinking of it that way might make it less intimidating to others.

As you know, the Benedictine way is not the Carmelite way is not the Jesuit way and so it goes…

In fact, both the St Benedict and the original Carmelites derived a great deal from their eastern roots, further developed in the western mileau of coarse.

Syrian spirituality had it’s own flavor, as did the Cappadocian as did the Egyptian. And today there would be differences between the Coptic, Greek/Athonite and the Russian, but they all influence each other and feed off of the same theological constructs.

We are blessed to be able to reach deep into these traditions and adopt what works best for us. I think of myself as Byzantine but my spirituality consists of borrowings from all over the Byzantine tradition. I can’t say that I do things the Carpathian way or Athonite way or whatever, it is pretty generally eastern and I won’t hesitate to mix western devotions with eastern ones (I still prefer the western LOTH for private recitation).

I have an icon corner, it is the northeast corner of my home. I am converting a walk in closet to use as a prayer space and I will move the icons there, it’s about 6 feet wide and 7 feet deep facing east so I think it will do.

When I pray I sometimes do prostrations (when the knees will let me). That means I will drop to my knees, press my forehead to the floor and raise my hands, that is different than a western prostration which is flat out.

I will stand in the orans position before the icon, sometimes I look right into the wall and beyond, seeing nothing.

I occasionally like to use a little incense at home too, but rather than use charcoal I will use a butter warmer or potpourri dish warmed with a tealight and heat the incense that way. The smell is pleasant but not smokey.

I have two chotki’s, one is 100 knots and one is 33 knots. I don’t use them much, I will usually say the Jesus prayer without them. I have successfully used a string of (what have been called) Franciscan Penance beads. There are only 10 beads and I will start off with the Creed then say 10 Jesus Prayers and then a Glory Be, then 10 more and an Act of Contrition or some other appropriate prayer. I can go like this a long time, I don’t like to say too many prayers without an interjection like that because I want to remain fully concious of each Jesus Prayer, I pray the same way on the chotki. Even so one tends to internalize the prayer and I have found myself awakening to it at times.

I have the first four volumes of the Philokalia (Faber & Faber), I wish I had more time too study them. I also have books by some of the Eastern Greats like Gregory of Nyssa, Basil the Great, Cyril of Jerusalem, Cyril of Alexandria, John Climacus, Maximos Confessor, Nil Sorsky, Nicodemus of the Holy Mountain, Valentin Tomberg, Soloviev.

With all of that you’d think I would have read a lot, sadly I am way behind in my reading program, I cannot seem to finish a book. Prayer is better.

One book I’d like to recommend is Earthen Vessels by Gabriel Bunge (a Benedictine). The best advice on cultivating a prayer life I have read from a modern source.

Thanks for bringing this subject up!

I would suggest the book
The Way of The Pilgrim.

go with God!
Edwin

I find I also use the Canon of Repentance before Confession , and the Preparation for Communion as well as the Prayers after Communion . These really help me focus on the important things of life.

40.png
Edwin1961:
I would suggest the book
The Way of The Pilgrim.

go with God!
Edwin
I have to agree with Edwin, The Way of the Pilgrim is a very good book to start off with. May I also recommed the Divine Office. It has more prayers in it that you might find useful. You can find here. stamforddio.org/

Glory be to Jesus Christ! Glory Forever!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back