El Shaddai

• Thread starter Thread starter Teresa9
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Teresa9

What does anyone know of the El Shaddai Healing Movement within the Catholic church?

I’d like to learn more about it. Thank you to anyone who can post any information. God Bless you and much love and peace to you xx

In the Philippines, there is such a very popular movement within the Catholic Church called the El Shaddai movement. Click Here for an overview of the group. I hope you find it helpful.

Gerry 🙂

(totalcatholic.com/pages/michael/michael_jun04.html)

I found this link to a catholic paper online with a question and answers column and this seems to be involved with El Shaddai…is it accepted Catholic doctrine?

‘I wrote the letter and tore it up several times but finally the words came and I knew that from that moment I would never go back to the hurtful memories again.
I was healed and my life changed. The El Shaddai Movement took off in a new and powerful way. I pray that the Spirit will inspire you to find an answer to your pain. Your life will change and you will find a peace which no memory can destroy’

This is a piece taken from the page.

God Bless you and much peace and love to you xx

I have heard of the group… I’ve heard of them in the Philippines. I don’t know if they’re Catholic. They seemed Baptist to me. No sign of the cross, no images… perhaps you speak of a different El Shaddai?

**El Shaddai is a Pilipino, lay Catholic movement. They had a conference at my parish center a couple of years ago. Someone invited me so I went to check it out. Basically, it is a charismatic group, with the volume turned on to a maximum. I got a migraine from the volume, and I never get migraines. There were some odd things, for instance, the song leader started jumping up and down yelling he wants to be like David and dance naked on the stage. People were swaying to the music so much, it was lewd. I noticed some questionable teaching by the two keynote speakers, but I do not recall anything specific, none of it was all that memorable. They were anointing with “holy oil” at the end, which is irregular. People were being prayed over and falling over. The prophesies were highly charged; women shrieking about the end of the world. The people were friendly, but they always are. This is definitely not for everybody.

40.png
CatholicSamurai:
I have heard of the group… I’ve heard of them in the Philippines. I don’t know if they’re Catholic. They seemed Baptist to me. No sign of the cross, no images… perhaps you speak of a different El Shaddai?
They’re Catholic, basically charismatic in orientation. They were founded in the mid-80s by a businessman, Bro. Mike Velarde and are known to hold huge prayer meetings (usually attracting hundreds of thousands of people) in Luneta (Rizal) Park in Manila once a week and are believed to have five to six million supporters throughout the country. Their numbers have become a source of political clout and has made them attractive targets for politicians to court during election campaigns.

Gerry

Ah, charismatic… I see now. It makes sense. No wonder members say… “Oh, we’re Catholic…”

tru_dvotion said:
El Shaddai is a Pilipino, lay Catholic movement. They had a conference at my parish center a couple of years ago. Someone invited me so I went to check it out. Basically, it is a charismatic group, with the volume turned on to a maximum. I got a migraine from the volume, and I never get migraines. There were some odd things, for instance, the song leader started jumping up and down yelling he wants to be like David and dance naked on the stage. People were swaying to the music so much, it was lewd. I noticed some questionable teaching by the two keynote speakers, but I do not recall anything specific, none of it was all that memorable. They were anointing with “holy oil” at the end, which is irregular. People were being prayed over and falling over. The prophesies were highly charged; women shrieking about the end of the world. The people were friendly, but they always are. This is definitely not for everybody.****

I don’t know. It sounds dangerous in my personal opinion. The El Shaddai I visited wasn’t like that… they were more like the Baptists in the manner of worship.

What’s even funny is that their worship hall was just across the street from our house. We hear the songs they sing during their afternoon worships.

40.png
CatholicSamurai:
The El Shaddai I visited wasn’t like that… they were more like the Baptists in the manner of worship.
They could still be part of the same movement. The weekly charismatic meetings are more subdued then the hype you see at the conferences. So the same could be true of El Shaddai. One thing though, near the end of the El Shaddai conference, they passed around some cotton scarves which people tied around their necks. I forgot about this… because even before I came in my house, I discarded the scarf.

Thank you for all your replies. I read a Catholic newspaper every week and there is a column in that that speaks about El Shaddi, it’s a well known Catholic newspaper and a Priest writes the column, this is why I am thinking it must be different to the kind you have all spoken about. The replies to questions the Priests answers are most helpful to people, but I have personally other than this article/column in the apaper never heard anything of El Shaddai. If anyone can find out further I’d like to hear about it

God Bless you and much peace and love to you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back