EME

  • Thread starter Thread starter Kathy_McManus
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don’t have a problem just going to give blessings.
Canon law disagrees with you. You are treading on seriously thin ice.

vatican.va/archive/ENG1104/__P54.HTM

Can. 1379 In addition to the cases mentioned in ⇒ can. 1378, a person who simulates the administration of a sacrament is to be punished with a just penalty.

Can. 1384 In addition to the cases mentioned in ⇒ cann. 1378-1383, a person who illegitimately performs a priestly function or another sacred ministry can be punished with a just penalty.

The phrase “a just penalty” means that a penalty (e.g., restitution, interdict, excommunication) can be tailored to fit the crime.
 
Would you explain what this means?
Join Date: July 19, 2008
Location: Sacramento, Calif.
Posts: 2,361
Religion: Born again little cee catholic, Called a Protestant

To keep this somewhat on topic, if no one is allowed to give a blessing in the Communion line, then that applies to EMHC also, right?
And this is on topic how I chose to list my religion. Whoever you are I do not owe you an explanation.
 
And this is on topic how I chose to list my religion. Whoever you are I do not owe you an explanation.
Thank you for your response. If you proclaim in your profile to be protestant, then I can disregard all of your postings in this thread about being a Catholic EMHC.

We are not to give blessings in the Communion line, period. EMHC are not to do things that are not proper for their ministry, including reposing the Blessed Sacrament in the Tabernacle, giving blessings, or acting in any way that appears they are ordained.
 
Thank you for your response. If you proclaim in your profile to be protestant, then I can disregard all of your postings in this thread about being a Catholic EMHC.

We are not to give blessings in the Communion line, period. EMHC are not to do things that are not proper for their ministry, including reposing the Blessed Sacrament in the Tabernacle, giving blessings, or acting in any way that appears they are ordained.
I am a Catholic and an EMHC.
 
Zab, we agree that non-communicants should not be coming up in the communion line. But you’re saying here that not only are you not doing anything about it, you are voluntarily doing what you know to be wrong: giving the simulated blessing. Your priest is defying the magisterium, with, I’m sure, the best of pastoral intentions. You are following his lead even though you know this isn’t quite right. This is respectful of you, but charity requires a further step. If you aren’t willing to discuss this with your priest, then I think you, and anyone in the situation, needs to stop being an EMHC so that you are not put in the position of perpetuating the mess.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top