Emotions vs. Sin; Commission vs. Omission

• Thread starter Thread starter Didi
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Didi

I sometimes have trouble distinguishing between the natural feelings of emotions we have (say discouragment) and when that emotion or the actions because of that emotion become sinful. I am at times discouraged because I’m dealing with a chronic illness. I have learned a great deal about redemptive suffering through this, but sometimes get very discouraged and maybe even resentful because of this condition. So when my discouragement leads me to not want to pray to God, even when I feel the call to do so, is it then sin?

Also, there are times when I do not make choices wisely, for example choosing to do something for myself (reading, watching a movie) with what little energy I have instead of tackling the dishes piling up on the counter.

I also struggle with the sins of “omission” or failing to do what God is calling us to do. If I am thinking of a friend who is also not feeling well, and think I should call them to encourage them, but because of my own sorry state I don’t want to reach out to others, is that then something I am failing to do and does it then become sinful? :confused:

Your insights are most appreciated! Thank you.

May the Peace of Christ be with you in this difficult time!

First, know that God will never allow us to suffer a greater burden than we (with His Grace) can handle. This doesn’t mean we won’t get discouraged, however. Remember that being tempted is not a sin. Christ told us that “Satan has demanded to sift you all like wheat”. He tries to get everyone. That said, giving in to such a temptation as not praying when we feel we should would be a sin of omission. What can you do about it? Pray for God’s forgiveness and grace and try harder next time. Remember that God is not out to punish you, but to lead to you righteousness. When looking at a certain action or situation, try to change your question from “is this a sin?” to “is this the best way to love my Lord?”. You’d be surprised how much easier it becomes for our conscience to discern right and wrong this way.

Dr. Colossus:
When looking at a certain action or situation, try to change your question from “is this a sin?” to “is this the best way to love my Lord?”. You’d be surprised how much easier it becomes for our conscience to discern right and wrong this way.
Great insight! Thanks so much 👍

A couple of months ago on EWTN, I think it may have been on “Abundant Life”, an author was talking about the struggle between emotions and sin. Does anyone know who this author is or the name of the book or how I might find it?

Didi, I think you’re being too hard on yourself. When you choose, for whatever reason, not to do a particular good thing, it is not always a sin - sometimes it is an imperfection. It is only a sin if you have an obligation to do the good thing and fail to do it. If you are not strictly obliged to do the thing, but feel you should have done it anyway, that’s a failure in generosity, an imperfection, but not a sin. Conquering our imperfections is an important step on the path to holiness, but we must be clear on what is sinful and what is not.

Betsy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back