English Liturgy Translation Guidelines

  • Thread starter Thread starter m231134
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Your question didn’t upset me.

What frustrates me is the inattentiveness of the Moderator. A lot of people worries could be set at ease with a simple sticky about what invalidates the Mass. I have decided to take up this cause and repeatedly post about it until the powers that be finally hear me.

It would be nice if others joined my cause. 😃
Maybe you could just PM the mod about it, then?
 
This thread discusses the English translations approved for use in the United States prior to the ICEL translation
Excellent thread. From that we see that the Vatican gave approval to a few different aspects of these translations. It’s not clear to me whether each of those instances constitutes an indult. But supposing that is so, did the Novus Ordo Missae quash any such indults?
 
This thread discusses the English translations approved for use in the United States prior to the ICEL translation
Thanks for the link. Excellent thread. In my parish during the post-Vatican II and pre-Novus Ordo years, vernacular Masses in English and in Polish (though not together in the same Mass) were pretty much the norm by the time I served Mass in 1966-67 and 1967-68).

A trilingual Mass (Latin/Greek (Kyrie)/vernacular), as is sometimes celebrated on EWTN, is also very edifying. I have twice attended a trilingual Melkite Liturgy (Arabic/Greek/English) and it was beautiful.

Anyway, again, I am looking forward to the revised English translation this Advent.
 
Here’s an article from yesterday’s Catholic Herald you may find interesting:

catholicherald.co.uk/commentandblogs/2011/02/14/the-attacks-on-the-new-english-missal-are-the-last-expiring-gasp-of-the-spirit-of-vatican-ii/

I"m not sure I agree with the premise though. It’s not just the radicals of the sixties resisting the new translation:

whatifwejustsaidwait.org/

It seems some people think the Church is a grass roots democracy.
True, but I’m sure Vatican II didn’t anticipate such backlash when they allowed bishops to determine the limits of the vernacular.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top