Enticing non-Catholic friends to sin

• Thread starter Thread starter akathlic
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
A

akathlic

I live in San Diego and I typically love fishing with my friends.

However, were all newly licensed teenagers, so it’s illegal for us to drive each other around.

I’ll ask my friends if they want to go fishing (keep in mind that they are not Christians), and they’ll end up driving each other to places which is illegal and sinful.

I love hanging out with my friends, I love spending time with them but I am concerned with asking them to go out because I know they’ll break the law and I also don’t want to entice them into sin.

What should I do? Is it sinful of me to ask them to go out knowing they’ll sin?

Well, we are supposed to avoid the near occasions of sin. It is good to keep that in mind.

You can pray to find new friends who are into their faith and active in your parish.

If I’m understanding this correctly, if you ask your friends out to go fishing, they will be breaking the law by driving each other when their license apparently doesn’t permit that. And you will be encouraging people to break the law.

So, if you want to ask them someplace that requires driving, either arrange a legal ride for all of you (like get a trusted adult to drive all of you and pick you up, or call Uber if you have that where you live), or wait till you’re all legal enough to drive there.

Last edited:
If i remember correctly, when you have a learners permit you can only drive with someone 18+, right? So the issue would be you have several 16 or 17 year olds driving together?

Last edited:
It would be much harder to justify you driving them than the inverse, but in both cases it seems to be a bad idea. But also you are not responsible for managing everyone’s lives - as if your friends require your invitation to go do bad things. If the issue is that they are driving themselves around, then it seems you would need at least some very good reason to invite them in some instance to do something which will likely involve them breaking the law. But my honest advice, based on the little you have said, is to find people to spend time with who are not getting themselves into these situations. You become your friends, as they say.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back