Eph 3:10 - What does Paul mean here - "heavenly places"?

  • Thread starter Thread starter JRKH
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
J

JRKH

Guest
Having some trouble coming to grips with this passage. Tried looking at it in a couple different translations and the meanings of the Greek, but still can’t quite get a grip on it. Is Paul referring to “God’s heaven” or a lower heaven or people in Lofty places/positions (like Kings etc.)
Eph 3:8-12 (RSV)
8 To me, though I am the very least of all the saints, this grace was given, to preach to the Gentiles the unsearchable riches of Christ, 9 and to make all men see what is the plan of the mystery hidden for ages in God who created all things; 10** that through the church the manifold wisdom of God might now be made known to the principalities and powers in the heavenly places**. 11 This was according to the eternal purpose which he has realized in Christ Jesus our Lord, 12 in whom we have boldness and confidence of access through our faith in him

The thing that caught my eye initially is that this is yet another place where “Church” as a teacher, and God’s instrument is referred to.
Anyway -
What are your thoughts on this…Anyone??

Peace
James
 
It’s “tois epouranios”, which literally means “to the over-skies”. (ep-ouranios), Highest heaven also gets used. There may be some “multiple heavens” stuff going on, but the important point is that we’re not talking about evil “principalities and powers”, but good ones that live in the high heavens with God.

No Uranus/Ouranos jokes. 🙂

The point here is that the mystery of God’s plan was hidden for ages – even from the angels (“the principalities and powers”, “tais archais kai tais exousiais”) in Heaven who serve God. God revealed His plan to humanity first, through Jesus and the Church. The angels only learned these parts of God’s revelation from paying attention to Jesus and to the Church.

This is a wonderful thing, and it shows God’s love for us.

Apparently there are a lot of non-Catholic traditions which think all “principalities and powers” are the evil demons of the air, etc. But Catholic/Orthodox tradition has pretty much always taken “principalities and powers” as being kinds of angels, with both unfallen and fallen examples. Pretty much all the occurrences of epouranios in Ephesians are clearly talking about Heaven. The only real negative occurrence is Ephesians 6:12, which talks about fighting “spiritual wickedness in epouranios”, which seems to be talking about the fallen angels, who became wicked while still in Heaven. Ephesians is all about the bad angels getting kicked out of Heaven, and Christ putting us in it.

Anyway… Matthew has Jesus calling his Father “o pater o epouranios”, which is translated as “the heavenly Father” in most English versions.
 
Hi,

Wow I just noticed that. Thanks for pointing it out. The part where 10 that through the church the manifold wisdom of God might now be made known to the principalities and powers in the heavenly places. That is way cool. I am actually starting to read this book, so the post caught my eye.

My commentary under this verse. [Ignatius Catholic Study Bible.]

3:10 - Through the Church: Christ continues to teach, heal and save the world through his mystical body. This mystery was once hidden from the angels 1 Pet 1:12] but is now manifest for the principalities and powers to look on and learn the plan of salvation. To the blessed angels, it is a glorious vision of an ever-expanding family; to the demons, it is a frightful spectacle of their own achievements toppling over with the triumph of the gospel. Elsewhere Paul portrays the Church as a pillar that upholds the turth for all to see.

God Bless.
 
Thanks for the feedback.
I think I’ll have to see if I can read through Ephesians from front to back and see if I can get a better overall sense.

Has anyone used this in discussion with SS types as an example of support for “The Church”?
Just curious.

Peace
James
 
Thanks for the feedback.
I think I’ll have to see if I can read through Ephesians from front to back and see if I can get a better overall sense.

Has anyone used this in discussion with SS types as an example of support for “The Church”?
Just curious.

Peace
James
I think it is good to use as you said…but with good constructed wording because many could not understand the way we do. Perhaps, this understanding from the text is why we need the Church to be able to understand this text. Ha!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top