Erasmus' Latin Bible

• Thread starter Thread starter Loy
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
L

Loy

Erasmus assembled a Greek-Latin bible. The Latin was his interpretation, not the official Vulgate. The Greek part of this bible is very easy to find on the web.

Does anyone know if the Latin text of his bible is posted on the internet?

I’m also having difficulty locating a hard copy of his bible. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

God bless you all!

I don’t know where to find this text, but an internet search could help if you havn’t tried already. If you can not find Erasmus, would a copy of the Vulgate and a Greek New Testament serve your purposes?

Yours,
Jessica

I have already googled this thing to death. Now I’m checking individual university web sites.

The most widely known editions of Erasmus’ Bible are the ones published by Stephanus, but so far I have found only the Greek part, not the Latin.

I’m trying to compare Erasmus’ Latin with some 16th century Protestant bibles. The protestants claimed that they translated Erasmus’ Greek text into the vernacular. But in certain passages they made some odd vocabulary choices compared to Erasmus’ Greek text. Did Erasmus’ Latin text suggest these? That’s what I’m trying to find out.

Erasmus’ secular Latin is very easy to find on the web, as well as a few of his Latin commentaries on scripture.

But unless I’m looking in the wrong places, his Latin translation of the Bible is very, very difficult to find.

God bless you all!

Hi Loy,

I doubt you will find what you are looking for except in the library of a large university, and that in a restricted section. Make a few phone calls or send a few e-mails.

Verbum

40.png
Loy:
Erasmus assembled a Greek-Latin bible. The Latin was his interpretation, not the official Vulgate. The Greek part of this bible is very easy to find on the web.

Does anyone know if the Latin text of his bible is posted on the internet?

I’m also having difficulty locating a hard copy of his bible. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

God bless you all!
Here are a few editions that are currently available. Problem is - they’re a bit pricey :bigyikes:

Novum instrumentum omne BIBLE IN GREEK
ERASMUS, Desiderius
Price: US$ 60000.00
Book Description: Basel J. Froben 1516 First published edition of the New Testament in Greek. Editio Princeps of the Greek New Testament Erasmus’ Great Edition, 1516 [BIBLE IN GREEK AND LATIN. New Testament, ERASMUS, Desiderius, Editor]. Novum instrumentum omne diligenter ab Erasmo Roterodamo recognitum et emendatum…Basel: [Johann Froben, 1516]. Printer’s device on titlepage. First published edition of the New Testament in Greek. Two parts in one folio volume. (12 1/2 x 8 1/8 inches, 315 x 208 mm). 224, [2 blanks, t6], 225-324, 676, [3], [1 blank] pp. Printed in Greek and Roman type, double column. . . .This first published edition of the New Testament in Greek, edited by Erasmus, with his Latin translation and annotations, was the basis for the subsequent translations of Luther and Tyndale.

TESTAMENTUM NOVUM, PER D. ERASMUM ROTERODAMUM NOUISSIME RECOGNITUM
Erasmus, Desiderius
Price: US$ 7500.00
Book Description: (Zrich, Christoph Froschauer, ca 1540). New Testament in Latin. 12mo (8), 383 leaves. Contemporary vellum on wooden boards. Contemporary (or earlier) handcolored full page bookplate pasted in on verso of front cover. Small defects to spine. Early edition of Erasmus New Testament, originally published in 1516.

I haven’t been able to find anything cheaper.

40.png
romano:
Novum instrumentum omne BIBLE IN GREEK

ERASMUS, Desiderius

Price: US$ 60000.00

Book Description: Basel J. Froben 1516 First published edition of the New Testament in Greek. Editio Princeps of the Greek New Testament Erasmus’ Great Edition, 1516

TESTAMENTUM NOVUM, PER D. ERASMUM ROTERODAMUM NOUISSIME RECOGNITUM

Erasmus, Desiderius

Price: US$ 7500.00

Book Description: (Zrich, Christoph Froschauer, ca 1540).
Oh goody! I can write a check. 😃

Your research seems to confirm my suspicion that there has been no recent reprinting of Erasmus’ Greek-Latin Bible. Since I’m only an amateur historian, these valuable artifacts would not be available to me for research. There seem to be a scholarly effort to upload Erasmus’ writings onto the web. I’ll just have to be patient and hope that someone eventually uploads his Greek-Latin Bible.

God bless you all!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back