Erasmus quote...help please!

  • Thread starter Thread starter Rand_Al_Thor
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Rand_Al_Thor

Guest
Pax vobiscum!

I need some quick help. I am trying to find Erasmus’ exact quote that he gave as an answer to Luther when asked why he remained in the Church. He said that he put up with it in hopes that one day it would become better, just as people put up with him in hopes that one day he would become better. I can’t seem to find this quote anywhere. What is the exact quote?

In Christ,
Rand
 
Pax vobiscum!

I need some quick help. I am trying to find Erasmus’ exact quote that he gave as an answer to Luther when asked why he remained in the Church. He said that he put up with it in hopes that one day it would become better, just as people put up with him in hopes that one day he would become better. I can’t seem to find this quote anywhere. What is the exact quote?

In Christ,
Rand

Try this 🙂​

metanexus.net/metanexus_online/show_article2.asp?id=7485

“Luther hoped Erasmus would join him in his protests. But when this did not happen, the first Protestant said some unkind things about the sharp-witted scholar. Erasmus was like a patriotic citizen in a Western democracy in our own times: well aware of the shortcomings and pitfalls of the system to which he belonged, but he did not see anything much better, least of all in the ideas of those who would demolish it. So he declared he would be a Roman Catholic to the end of his days, which did not mean he approved or applauded all that the Church of Rome was doing. “I will put up with this Church until I shall see it better,” he is reported to have said. The leaders of the Reformation were upset, and so were the Spanish Inquisitors. When you are on one side of a raging controversy, only the other hates you. When you are a balanced thinker, both hate you.”

Any use ? ##
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top