Ethiopian/Eritrean and Coptic Catholic Churches - Latinization?

• Thread starter Thread starter LastMinute
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
L

LastMinute

There have been three groups who, for a lot of different reasons, i’ve never had the opportunity to celebrate Divine Liturgy/Holy Qurbana with. The Ethiopians/Eritreans, The Coptics, and the Armenians.

As such, beyond the limited book learning i have (which like all things, is powerfully insufficient by being just academic information), i don’t really have a feel for any of them.

I’ve ** met** Ethiopian and Armenian Catholics - sometimes of those within their respective Rites, but more of the time in Latin Rite Churches. But beyond a few interesting conversations (and a treasured gift of St. Gregory of Narek’s Lamentations), there hasn’t been much to go on.

So - hoping CAF might bring together some of them on the web, just wanted to put a feeler out there and see if anyone could speak for the institutional state of their respective churches. Levels of Latinzation? Practices? etc.

Last edited:
That being said, after doing some CAF “archeology” - i noticed the place played host to a rather outspoken Coptic Orthodox poster by the name of dzheremi . Incredibly thoughtful posts - i’m actually surprised that one would show up here even if he (or she?) is long gone.

There have been three groups who, for a lot of different reasons, i’ve never had the opportunity to celebrate Divine Liturgy/Holy Qurbana with. The Ethiopians/Eritreans, The Coptics, and the Armenians.

As such, beyond the limited book learning i have (which like all things, is powerfully insufficient by being just academic information), i don’t really have a feel for any of them.

I’ve ** met** Ethiopian and Armenian Catholics - sometimes of those within their respective Rites, but more of the time in Latin Rite Churches. But beyond a few interesting conversations (and a treasured gift of St. Gregory of Narek’s Lamentations), there hasn’t been much to go on.

So - hoping CAF might bring together some of them on the web, just wanted to put a feeler out there and see if anyone could speak for the institutional state of their respective churches. Levels of Latinzation? Practices? etc.
The Armenian Catholic sui iurus church is in the Armenian tradition which is partly derived from the tradition of Constantinople. On the other hand the Alexandrian tradition is the source of the Coptic Catholic, Eritrean Catholic, and Ethiopian Catholic sui iuris churches. For the liturgy, these are used:

Armenian – Liturgy of Saint Gregory (Saint Basil)
Alexandrian – Liturgy of Saint Basil (Coptic), Liturgy of Saint Cyril (Saint Mark), Liturgy of Saint Gregory of Naziansus

(Please Note: This uploaded content is no longer available.)

Last edited:
Thanks for the incredibly detailed schematic.

I was hoping to put some questions to some of those coming out of the Oriental Orthodox churches, but alas - I think aside from a the Syro-Malabars and Syro-Malankarans, the rest don’t really have any representation on CAF.

On my archeology trips into this boards past, i noticed that there were some OOs that would post, but never anyone coming from an EC-Oriental Orthodox church. I expected as much from the Chaldeans, having met members of that group offline, i don’t think a place like CAF would have really grabbed their attention.

Same could be said about the Ethiopians** as well, a lot of chatter about them on CAF - and some folks like me attempting to attend their services (apparently there was a community in Brooklyn and later on in Mt. Laurel in New Jersey which since '03 some priests in these forums and other intrepid folk have attended - although if they still persisit who knows?), but never really a voice.

I was gambling a little more on finding an Armenian or two, given that as an ethnic community they were established in the USA before the other two and maybe might have popped up. Of course, admittedly, all the Armenians i know personally are quite secular - and probably know more about Kim Kardashian than anything else.

**To be fair though, i have a feeling CAF isn’t exactly a hotbed of the African American religious experience - regardless of Eastern or Western Rite. I can tell from the slant of the forum - although i have to say things seemed a lot less political in this place 4-6 years back. Last time I was here, coming on more than a decade, and looking at the place now - seems like two different forums with very different objectives.

Last edited:
You are welcome.

It may be more difficult to reach those people because of a preference within their language group. I have seen posts from Syro-Malabar Catholics here.

This forum has changed over the years, and it will be no more January 1, 2021. Hopefully you can get some questions answered before then. (No archive will remain available.)

Last edited:
Hopefully you can get some questions answered before then. (No archive will remain available.)
I know… its a sheer pity. Some forum members write beautifully - among the Latin Rite folks, i’ve found Contarini’s writing can be quite profound - although that forum user seems to have abandoned the place around 2017.

@LastMinute
@Vico

So does that mean the whole structure of the forum changes?

So does that mean the whole structure of the forum changes?
You mean for the upcoming shutdown? Nope - that is the end, there is no more. CAF shutters itself forever and no archives to pull from (hence my search digs through the system).

If you mean 2017 - you’d better asks someone who was around for that - i just notice that a lot of peoples posts i’ve been reading from the past suddenly evaporated in 2017.

Thank you for the Edification, and Greetings,

I am writing to clafiriy that I was indeed asking aobut the change that occured to the forums software/architecture/what-have-you back in 2014

Not my area of expertise, but I know you always have to be careful with the “l” word.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back