Eucharistic Adoration Questions

• Thread starter Thread starter maryj
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

maryj

I am thinking about signing up for an hour of Adoration weekly at my parish. Can someone help me out on the “way” we should go about using that hour. Prayer, thankgiving etc. Thanks in advance. I am very much looking forward to Adoration.

Now that I have a toddler, it’s a whole new world of spirituality for me 🙂 But before the Great Distraction arrived on the scene, I used to spend a few minutes in spontaneous prayer, thanking Jesus for bringing me to the Adoration Chapel. Then I would pray 5 decades of the Rosary, sometimes followed by the Chaplet of Divine Mercy. Then I would do some spiritual reading out of the Bible, lives of the saints, CCC, etc. About 10 minutes before the end of the hour, I would try to be quiet and listen to Jesus for the rest of the time. This was the hardest part!

Now, though, I’m lucky if I get a Holy Fifteen Minutes, let alone a Holy Hour 😛 And I usually spend a lot of that time just in spontaneous prayer since I can’t concentrate that much on a Rosary, and my son likes to grab my spiritual reading materials!

I will only tell you this: You have to find your own way.

I may go with some reading materials, but not use them, or go with a journal and not write.

The very first time I went to adoration, I just felt a call to go, and a prompting to take a journal of some sort. I grabbed one, got there, and felt prompted to write. So I did…and I was surprised by what came out of my hand.

So be open. Pray to the Holy Spirit before you go. If you fee drawn to a particular book, then grab it. It’s ok if you end up not reading it. Bring a journal or notepad, in case you are inspired to jot someting down. Bring a rosary.

Most importantly, just be thre, and let Jesus do the talking. You may be amazed by what he says and how he says it.

MaryJ:

I’m very happy that you’re opening up yourself to one hour of pure radiation from the Body of Christ. It is one of the most untapped but purely refreshing act that we can participate in.

Personally I do what Catholicsam do almost to the tee…but that’s my way of spending the time. I’m sure that you will find your style with the prompting of the Spirit. Do accept that difficulty is part of the process, from keeping the hour, the degree of focus, the effort involved. But our efforts are paid in abundance in the graces, company and insight that Christ lavishes his adorers.

I cannot recommend strongly enough St. Julian Eymard’s book: Eucharistic Retreats. It really helps to guide a conversation with Christ in Adoration.

Many many happy and peaceful moments await you with your Lord. This is why I’m happy for you.

in XT.

40.png
CatholicSam:
Now that I have a toddler, it’s a whole new world of spirituality for me 🙂 But before the Great Distraction arrived on the scene, I used to spend a !
you keep bringing that baby with you to visit Jesus, if you manage 5 minutes that will be a triumph but you will have helped form a habit for a lifetime.

for those of us without distractions:
praying the liturgy of the hours
praying the rosary
meditating on the Passion, using the stations of the cross, or the Gospel accounts
reading the lectionary readings for the day for for this Sunday, slowly and meditatively, praying with the readings, then just sitting in quiet contemplation.

attentive silence, at rest in the Lord

I believe attentive silence will be the most difficult. It’s so hard to be just with myself somedays. a journal is a fabulous idea I will deffinately be trying that. Where would one find the Litany of the Hours? I am so excited to do this. I remember being so hurried when I was younger and just wanting mass to be over with so I could get on with my day. Now I can’t believe how dissappointed I feel when father says “Mass is ended go in peace to love and serve the Lord” Never did I ever believe I would feel like this, aint the Lord something!!!

40.png
maryj:
I am thinking about signing up for an hour of Adoration weekly at my parish. Can someone help me out on the “way” we should go about using that hour. Prayer, thankgiving etc. Thanks in advance. I am very much looking forward to Adoration.
Try this website:
2heartsnetwork.org/freelit.htm

Look under Eucharistic Adoration. There are some great documents there that describe in detail how to spend that holy hour.

Lot’s of free Catholic literature and e-books to read at this web site as well.

I want to add, how lucky you are to have a place near you where you can adore him.

Maryj when you go into adoration go in there with the notion that you will not speak about yourself for that hour. It’s all Him. Your heart with all its burdens and sorrows, pain and suffering, joys and laughter…need not be the centre of your hour. It’s better that it isn’t, because “adoration” is for adoring Christ not focusing on ourselves.

Here’s a beautiful idea I learned at a retreat in Steubenville. The speaker told us that when we go to Adoration we can take our Heart with all its pains and hurts and pretend to place it in front of the monstrance. From that moment on Adoration is nothing about you. Do not focus on yourself and your burdens because you and your burdens are before the monstrance you have no access to them. Focus on Christ alone. Pray in thanksgiving and praise, to glorify God and think about him alone. Think of all the wondrous things he has done for you, and think of how you can be closer to him. Best of all, just be. Just be in his presence, in his glory. The monstrance was created to look like a sun from which all light comes. Christ is that light. You are basking in his light at that hour. God bless.

-Alison

40.png
Alison:
Maryj when you go into adoration go in there with the notion that you will not speak about yourself for that hour. It’s all Him. Your heart with all its burdens and sorrows, pain and suffering, joys and laughter…need not be the centre of your hour. It’s better that it isn’t, because “adoration” is for adoring Christ not focusing on ourselves.
This is one of those things that should be obvious, but it isn’t. I had a wonderful “d’oh!” moment when I read this. I’ve been thinking of comitting to an hour a week myself, and this little piece of advice will make an enormous difference in my approach.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back