Eucharistic Fast a Little Less than One Hour

  • Thread starter Thread starter imo
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I

imo

Guest
Hello.

Situation: someone eat around15 minutes before Mass and receives communion forgetting about the fasting. This person, afterwards, remember about the fasting and can’t be sure if it was 1 hour or not, it knows it was around 50 - 70 minutes, but in the end can’t say with certainty.

Does this look like a mortal sin? The person knew about the fasting, usually respects it, but this time forgot without malice while receiving communion.
 
Last edited:
I don’t think it can be a mortal sin, because it was not a deliberate act. Perhaps it should still be confessed, however, especially if it is of concern to the parishioner.
 
It’s not a mortal sin.

You cannot accidentally commit a mortal sin. You have to fulfill the three conditions for a mortal sin and this situation does not. The person wasn’t thinking “I know it’s a mortal sin if I take communion now but I’m going to do it anyway” and then goes ahead takes communion.
 
Last edited:
Since it knew about the fasting, wouldn’t be imprudent or careless to forget? Isn’t something that we are like obliged to remember?
 
The point of the 1 hour fast is not a strict time limit of 1 hour. It’s not to make you count the minutes before communion. It’s to allow you, body and soul, to prepare to receive our Lord in the Eucharist.
So I don’t think it’s sinful if only 45 minutes passed. As long as you don’t make a habit of not fasting before communion.
 
Just pray and hope the Priest is the type that says the mass slowly 😋

in all seriousness Its not a mortal sin. Like all small mistakes just dont make it a habit. Now that you know about it and why the Church teaches it you can move on
 
Last edited:
I think it depends. You can’t commit a mortal sin by accident but you can be sooooooo careless that it happens & then it’s not “exactly” an accident. You’ll just have to discern how accidental it really was.

And, yes, one hour means 60 minutes. 45 minutes is not one hour. The fast is not a “symbol” of “some hour-ish amount of time that feels respectful.” It’s a rule. The Church is not just toppling over in rules but She has a few of them.
 
imo, please don’t take your thoughts about this into the weeds. What I told you is the truth. It was NOT a mortal sin. The three necessary conditions which must be present were not there.

Honestly forgetting is unfortunately a defect of all human beings. It’s not a sin.

The same is true if we forget to fast on Ash Wednesday or if we forget and eat meat on Good Friday and then remember right afterward that it is Good Friday. Neither of those are sins much less mortal sins.

The person in these circumstances is NOT culpable (as long as he honestly forgot). Neither is the one who forgot the time and received communion before he should have. No sin was committed.
 
Last edited:
I do not think it would be considered a mortal sin. It is something that we should do to show our Lord His importance in our life above everything else, however I think there are other ways to prove to our Lord the love we have for Him.

We should focus more on our overall behaviour, a person complying with eucharistic fast who has hatred against another person, would not benefit from it at all.
 
Last edited:
You can’t sin at all, much less mortally, by accident. You went to communion likely out of habit. Not a mortal sin, just be more careful in the future.

-Fr ACEGC
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top