Eucharistic Miracles and Protestants

• Thread starter Thread starter Dimmesdale
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Dimmesdale

I for one am a firm believer in Eucharistic miracles: them bleeding and showing other indications of being the True Presence. I don’t think it is reasonable to believe either that this is a Catholic conspiracy or a demonic deception. The only other option is that, God has a hand in causing them to show indications of being pieces of heart, blood and so on.

Now, what is a Protestant who does not believe in the Real Presence to do with this evidence? He cannot believe God has a hand in these miracles. Why would God deceive in such a way? God is truth. He does not wish to mislead His children into believing something false. Again, the Protestant would have to default either to a Catholic conspiracy, or to the meddling of demons. But there is no evidence of a widespread network of Catholics foisting this deception on the public, especially in villages and towns that are very isolated and in the middle of “nowhere” in which often only innocent, simple-hearted peasants are privy to these phenomena. And as for demons… do they have such power, in the first place? And why would God allow it as well?

I know this topic has been put forth in some fashion before, but I think it bears repeating…

I say, along with Flannery O’Connor that, if the Eucharist is “just a symbol” then, “to he** with it.” But it is not a mere symbol. It is Reality.

Not a Protestant anymore, but I believed in the real presence, so was fine with it. Alternatively, it was demons. Yes they can cause physical effecfs, speculating on God’s motivation for allowing it is useless. Here also are other well thought protestant arguments about it and Catholic miracles in general: Triablogue: Parsing Catholic miracles

Miracles don’t necessarily prove a faith anyway, particularly if one does hold to a more inclusive view of salvation. I think God works miracles for Muslims, Protestants, Jews, etc. I will not be joining any of those groups. Most miracles I’ve seen with my own eyes have been from Protestants and their worship, I still left. They prove nothing about the truth value of the faith.

I expect the large majority of them simply never hear of them or even know about them. And if they do, they simply dismiss them without further thought the way I do if I hear some celebrity has a new hairdo. This is just my opinion, but humans do tend to only pay attention to things that interest them. Its functional really as you can’t listen to everything. Of course there might well be those that did listen and have been converted and that’s why Carlos Acutis is being beatified soon … which is just so great.

Last edited:
In the case of the Eucharistic Miracle of Siena, the hosts have been staying fresh since 1730.

This is a great question. I always wondered what a Protestant would say to the Marian apparitions too!

Protestants as a rule don’t know about them, don’t hear about them. It is part of a world they don’t know.
I don’t think this involves a deliberate refusal, but has to do with human nature.

Last edited:
Now, what is a Protestant who does not believe in the Real Presence to do with this evidence?
Why do we have to do something with this evidence? Do Catholics concern themselves with all the alleged Protestant miracles out there?

Why would non Catholics busy themselves with the Eucharist every Sunday.
I can’t speak for other communions / traditions/ denominations, but Lutherans “busy themselves” because it is the true body and blood of Christ, given and shed for the forgiveness of sin.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back