Evangelical Artist in Rome

• Thread starter Thread starter JohnCarroll
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
J

JohnCarroll

For many years I was an Evangelical artist who was making art for Catholic Churches— trying to convince my friends that catholics really don’t worship the things I was making . Then i was ( for a shorter time) an Episcopalian Artist making art for Catholic Churches. Now my wife and I are about to enter the Catholic Church–at last. You might think the two things are related ( my job and my conversion) but not so. It was really EWTN ,the Early Church Fathers and , I hope, the Holy Spirit.

I just wanted to say hello and to ask if a Church artist can add any thing to the conversation. Does any one want to talk about Church Art? I hope you will not think this is a commercial appeal , it is not. Please DON"T use me! I just want to talk about a subject i love, Catholic art.
JohnCarroll

It is absolutely to have you and your wife back home John. Welcome back! :blessyou:

A big hello to you too. :tiphat:
We would love to hear about the work you have done and how you are doing in your spiritual life.

Unfortunately I don’t know much about Church art 😦 but I would love to learn whatever you may have to teach.

God bless you and your wife.

Welcome John, to you and your wife.

God Bless both of you and EWTN!

I would be interested in your recommendations and links pertaining to contemporary Catholic art and artists. I bet there are some good things out there, but they are hard for your average Catholic to find.

Thanks.

I am happy for you coming home as part of your faith journey.

Speaking of art, I’ve seen some of the ancient art in Medieval European Churches, as well as the art that decorated Churches in this country prior to the current “spare Protestant-style modern” trend, and I have to say it really lifts my heart to God.

Just last Sunday, I visited a 100+ year-old Church for Mass that still had the old traditional altar, all the statues of saints, traditional stained glass, altar rail, ceiling frescoes, etc. …

It was breathtaking.

I’ve often thought of the unknown artists and craftsman who would spend their entire life working on the art and decorative flourishes for a major Medieval Cathedral for nothing more than the greater glory of God.

And I often wonder how art transitioned from the sacred to urine-dipped crosses and dung-infested sacrilege.

Dear Angelica,StuartG, DougLand RFK Thank you for you welcome! I have to admit that one of my worries coming into the Church has been , will I meet Catholics who really Love the Lord? This site has helped me see that there are such people. This worry is really because i don’t know many Catholics as yet.

RFK, I completely agree with you. It is the old churches that most lift me to God. Five hundred years ago, if you wanted to hear the greatest music ever composed, hear the greatest words ever spoken, see the greatest sculptures and the greatest paintings … you went to church. This was true because the Church hired great artists and great artists wanted to work for the Church. In the meantime, something has gone very wrong. Today, very few artists are inclined to do religious work and only a few churches are interested in commissioning works. This is especially true of evangelical churches, and yet, what is the first thing an evangelical does when he or she gets to Europe? He or she hot-foots-it to the nearest cathedral. Why? Because, something is missing at home - art which glorifies God.

Like a beautifully illustrated book, the walls of those old churches continue tell the story of the gospel. Old cathedrals use every opportunity and every one of our five senses to point the observer to God and to tell of his wonderful deeds.

All of our senses are avenues for communication. This was not lost on the ancient Catholics who built the cathedrals. In most of my Evangelical churches I only got to worship with my ears. We listen and we sing. But there was in times past (in addition to music and scripture to sing and recite) incense to smell, the Euchrist to taste, and many paintings and sculptures to see and touch. All these said something about God.

t isn’t that new churches want to look Protestant, but that the expectation of the people building ( the Architect, Commettee, and Pastor) have changed. The Modern style of the 1920’s changed all architecture ,including Church Architecture. I have seen new structures which are beautiful and do the job as well as the old but not many.

We have only a few instructions in scripture about art used in worship. God says (contrary to popular belief ) to fill His sanctuary with art. The old Temple was art , wall to wall. ( Read the 6th, 7th and 8th chapters of 1 Kings to hear more about this.)

MOREOVER, HUMAN BEINGS HAVE ALWAYS MADE ART ABOUT WHAT THEY THINK IS IMPORTANT. In fact, much of the reason we think one thing or another is important is because someone has taken the time to make art about it. Movies and books about historical figures, the architecture of your local court house, the statue of a local hero in the park, all reinforce a communities sense of their subjects importance.

I think Our Lord is important. I make art about Him.
JohnCarroll

40.png
Angelica:
It is absolutely to have you and your wife back home John. Welcome back! :blessyou:

A big hello to you too. :tiphat:
We would love to hear about the work you have done and how you are doing in your spiritual life.

Unfortunately I don’t know much about Church art 😦 but I would love to learn whatever you may have to teach.

God bless you and your wife.
Hello Angelica
I will try to write a little later to tell you about my spiritual journey but here is one of my newest works for a church here in Texas. Thanks for asking,
John
http://www.hillstream.com/crucifix_below.html

I tried to enter a photo URL but it comes out as an X on the board. Does anyone know how to do this?

40.png
rfk:
Well, I might as well see if this works. Here is an image of Sainte Chappelle, in Paris:

http://pics.misterblue.com/200203-Paris/SainteChappelle//90/120/IMG_2284.jpg

You place an image by {IMG}image url{/IMG}, except you replace the squiggly brackets with square brackets.
Thanks RFK
I will try to do this too.

If I can’t get this to show my photos , anyone would like to see my work they can go to my agents site at Hillstream.com
Here is another try to show my crucifix though it may be too large to show as an inserted image:
hillstream.com/crucifix_below.html
Thanks for your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back