B
Boulder257
Guest
What is the difference between the two or is there a difference?
I’m pretty sure the difference is in the intent. Proselytizing aims to “convert” to one’s own religious position, but isn’t necessarily concerned with the person’s spiritual well-being. Evangelizing aims to “convert” another’s heart, and is essentially concerned with the person’s spiritual well-being (ie, relationship to Christ).What is the difference between the two or is there a difference?
I found this answer makes a good distinction.What is the difference between the two or is there a difference?
Proselytizing, in the negative sense rejected by the Church, is not “trying to convert.” We should try to convert. The CDF issued a document on this a few years ago, which specifically lists a kind of pseudo-evangelization “without aiming at their conversion to Christ and to the Catholic faith” as part of “a growing confusion which leads many to leave the missionary command of the Lord unheard and ineffective.” (paragraph 3).Proselytizing is trying to convert. Proselytizing was condemned by our Holy Father. en.radiovaticana.va/news/2013/05/08/pope_francis_at_wednesday_mass:_build_bridges,_not_walls/en1-690203.
So using this logic, I could say the same thing, but the way I say it determines if it is proselytism or evangelism.Historically speaking, at different times and places, the terms were used interchangably.
More recently, there has been a distinction drawn between the two – which I think is helpful. I think the nutshell version is that evangelization proposes while proselytism imposes.
Now this is an interesting quote from a good source. Thanks!I found this answer makes a good distinction.
“proselytization” refers to using inappropriate tactics to get someone to convert, rather than allowing them to make a free choice for Christ. The inappropriate tactics can take a number of forms, including deception, coercion, emotional manipulation, threats, and even bribery. An explanation of this usage is found in the 2007 document from the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith titled Instruction on Some Aspects of Evangelization.”
catholic.com/blog/jimmy-akin/pope-francis-on-%E2%80%9Cproselytism%E2%80%9D