Eve and the rib?

  • Thread starter Thread starter fakename
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
F

fakename

Guest
I’m pretty sure that we are supposed to believe it, and it makes sense, but is what I think true?

Oddly though, there seems to be a bit of debate on this matter and very little authoritative enunciation. That is, if I ask if abortion is wrong it becomes a yes or no question w/o equivocation; if I ask this, it becomes this long dissertation on the arcana of interpretation -why is this?
 
I’m pretty sure that we are supposed to believe it, and it makes sense, but is what I think true?

Oddly though, there seems to be a bit of debate on this matter and very little authoritative enunciation. That is, if I ask if abortion is wrong it becomes a yes or no question w/o equivocation; if I ask this, it becomes this long dissertation on the arcana of interpretation -why is this?
I say we’ll never really know whether or not it is literal in this world - I’ll just ask God when I’m dead. 😃
 
We record what is to all known, and cannot be doubted by any, that God, on the sixth day of creation, having made man from the slime of the earth, and having breathed into his face the breath of life, gave him a companion, whom He miraculously took from the side of Adam when he was locked in sleep.
Pope Leo XIII in his encyclical Arcanum.

Pax.
 
Do you say this, or does the Church say it?
I don’t recall the Church ever making a definitive statement as to whether or not it is literal, so I think it is open for debate. That being said, I’ll probably just wait untill I can get information from the source.
 
The Vatican does not have a huge book that interprets every line of scripture. I have never come across anything that makes the rib some kind of dogma. this is probably in the realm of"So what."
 
I tend to be more sympathetic to the “it should be believed people” because supposedly it is listed in a book called Sources of Catholic Dogma. So the last word implies that it ought to be held as true.

But I’ve never actually seen it listed in said book -I don’t own the book and navigating it’s vast contents is beyond me right now. So does anyone know if it really is listed in there?

Keep the replies coming!
 
The Vatican does not have a huge book that interprets every line of scripture. I have never come across anything that makes the rib some kind of dogma. this is probably in the realm of"So what."
If the Vatican did have such a book, the book would be infinitely long, because it would have to interpret every line of itself. Even so, there are very few dogmas. The Bible makes other factual assertions that we know independently to be factual, such as that Pontius Pilate was governor of Judea during Jesus’ earthly lifetime, and an argument can be made that we are required to believe it because it’s an essential component of the dogma “he was crucified for us under Pontius Pilate”.
 
I’m pretty sure that we are supposed to believe it, and it makes sense, but is what I think true?

Oddly though, there seems to be a bit of debate on this matter and very little authoritative enunciation. That is, if I ask if abortion is wrong it becomes a yes or no question w/o equivocation; if I ask this, it becomes this long dissertation on the arcana of interpretation -why is this?
The Catholic teaching is that Adam and Eve, as founders of the human species, had the same human nature. Check out “Male and Female He Created Them” paragraphs 369-373 in the Catechism of the Catholic Church, Second Edition. Link–
scborromeo.org/ccc.htm

For some fascinating reading, start with CCC 355 and read through CCC 421.

Blessings,
granny

The human person is worthy of profound respect from the moment of conception.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top