Actually, now that I check the USCCB site, I see no such decree from the time period I am thinking of (2002 or so).
Former Bishop Foley’s order cites a 1996 document:
The following norms are based upon guidelines for televising the liturgy which were approved by the National Conference of Catholic Bishops in November 1996
dfp42:
any sources for this? I can’t believe after all this time it was simply withdrawn.
Three things have happened since that time.
First, EWTN does not have quite the conservative bent it once had. Not having cable, I haven’t watched in awhile so I can’t quote you specific examples, but I have read conservatives complaining about it and I don’t hear liberals whining about EWTN as much as they once did.
Second, the Holy Father released Summorum Pontificum which came down firmly in favor of permitting and encouraging the TLM, which is celebrated ad orientam. it also assuaged some of the sentiment against ad populum by giving those devoted to ad orientam the sense that the conservative approach was on the rise, and by giving them many more masses where they could attend, rather than fearing that EWTN was their last battleground.
Third, shortly after Summorum Pontificum was implemented a new bishop was named to replace Foley. As I recall, current Bishop Baker already had ties to EWTN as he had co-written a book with one of the EWTN hosts.
The end result is that the heat has been turned down, the acceptance of ad orientam has been normalized somewhat both nationwide and I assume in Birmingham (even if rarely seen outside of the extraordinary form), and a new Bishop of Birmingham is on good terms with an EWTN less inclined to push ad orientam. I doubt that the decree was withdrawn, since it codifies a number of points that the bishop might want to keep control over (e.g. political messages during the homily), but I suspect EWTN gets a sympathetic and cooperative ear whenever it requests some deviation from the guidelines.
dfp42:
Also, is it true that EWTN edited some of Mother Angelica’s tapes due to being incorrect teachings?
Yes, in fact that was the topic of one of the complaints by conservatives I spoke of. Naturally some of what Mother Angelica said in say 1992 is no longer accurate as changes have taken place in liturgical rules, new mysteries of the rosary have been added, etc. Also, a lot of the content of the show was just Mother mouthing off, sharing her opinion. This was one of her charms. At the same time, some of those opinions may be a bit questionable today in light of actions or writings by the pope, bishops conferences, dicasteries, etc. in years since. EWTN had to face the issue of deleting at least parts of the tapes to reflect solid, current, Catholic truth. The question of exactly how much and what to delete is a trickier matter, and some apparently felt they used a chainsaw for a job that could have been done with a penknife.