Example of Sacred Tradition?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Lil_M
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
L

Lil_M

Guest
I’m teaching a Confirmation class for the first time and I’m working on my lesson plan…I’m sure I know this but I’m double checking. What’s an example of Sacred Tradition? Is that like, a celibate priesthood, the perpetual virginity of Mary, that sort of thing? I can’t find any in my books. Thanks!
 
I’m teaching a Confirmation class for the first time and I’m working on my lesson plan…I’m sure I know this but I’m double checking. What’s an example of Sacred Tradition? Is that like, a celibate priesthood, the perpetual virginity of Mary, that sort of thing? I can’t find any in my books. Thanks!
Celibate Priesthood is a Discipline or law of the Church.
Perpetual Virginity of Mary is a Dogma of the Church from Sacred Tradition.

One of the most common is the canon of books that make up the Christian Bible.
 
One of the most common is the canon of books that make up the Christian Bible.
The canon of the Bible may be the best example of Sacred Tradition that the Catholic Church has because no where in the Bible itself does it say what the canon is. We need to rely on Sacred Tradition which tells us what the canon is. Without Sacred Tradition, we have no way of knowing what is inspired Scripture and what is not.
 
Read CCC74-95, 113. There is where the Deposit of Faith is explained starting out with Sacred Tradition and going into the Deposit of Faith.
 
Here is another link that may be of help
catholic.com/library/pillar.asp

*Apostolic teachings such as the Trinity, infant baptism, the inerrancy of the Bible, purgatory, and Mary’s perpetual virginity have been most clearly taught through Tradition, although they are also implicitly present in (and not contrary to) the Bible. The Bible itself tells us to hold fast to Tradition, whether it comes to us in written or oral form (2 Thess. 2:15, 1 Cor. 11:2).
*
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top