Examples of universal ordinary magisterium

• Thread starter Thread starter TheAdvocate197
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
T

TheAdvocate197

We know that a teaching of the Church is infallible when taught Ex Cathedra or by Ecumenical Council. But the Church is also infallible when universally taught by the bishops dispersed throughout the world—this is known as the universal ordinary magisterium.

What would be some examples of such teaching? It just seems to me that where there is unanimity, they tend to gather and produce some document, anyway.

It’s not an either or–but usually an and/both. Usually, an extraordinary judgment from a Council or the Pope are on points that were previously handed on with universal consent, but which for various reasons become obscured or questioned. And then, usually after such an extraordinary judgment clears things up, the ordinary way is eventually universally restored. Such extraordinary judgments are to declarations of anything new, but confirmations of what had previously been handed on. For example, the early Church believed in the divinity of Christ, this dogma became questioned, it was definitively reaffirmed in an extraordinary way at Nicea I, and after the strife died down it has been handed on always and everywhere in Church in various ways.

Generally, the entire deposit of faith is handed on by the universal, ordinary magisterium most of the time–that’s why it’s called ordinary.

2000 years on there are probably not a whole lot of truths handed on this way without any challenge or reason for an extraordinary declaration. Most of the 10 commandments have not had such an extraordinary judgment. I believe the perpetual virginity of Mary is another big one. I’m sure I’m missing some.

Last edited:
We know that a teaching of the Church is infallible when taught Ex Cathedra or by Ecumenical Council. But the Church is also infallible when universally taught by the bishops dispersed throughout the world—this is known as the universal ordinary magisterium.

What would be some examples of such teaching? It just seems to me that where there is unanimity, they tend to gather and produce some document, anyway.
Evangelium vitae.

It just seems that once the bishops arrive at some consensus, they eventually come up with a document, ecumenical council, or the pope publishes an encyclical such as Evangelium Vitae (thanks, Vico) which wind up codifying the consensus, anyway.

This is a prominent example:
Dubium : Whether the teaching that the Church has no authority whatsoever to confer priestly ordination on women, which is presented in the Apostolic Letter Ordinatio Sacerdotalis to be held definitively, is to be understood as belonging to the deposit of faith.

Responsum : Affirmative.

This teaching requires definitive assent, since, founded on the written Word of God, and from the beginning constantly preserved and applied in the Tradition of the Church, it has been set forth infallibly by the ordinary and universal Magisterium (cf. Second Vatican Council, Dogmatic Constitution on the Church Lumen Gentium 25, 2). Thus, in the present circumstances, the Roman Pontiff, exercising his proper office of confirming the brethren (cf. Lk 22:32), has handed on this same teaching by a formal declaration, explicitly stating what is to be held always, everywhere, and by all, as belonging to the deposit of the faith.

Last edited:
Good stuff. Did you compose this, or this from Ott? Which source is this? I like the wording.

I am sorry, I usually include reference info but was in a hurry today.

This is from Congregation for the Doctrine of Faith on October 28, 1995. It was adopted in an ordinary session of the Congregation, and approved by Pope John Paul II, and signed by Cardinal Ratzinger and Abp. Bertone, prefect and secretary. I think there s a commentary from Cardinal Ratzinger as well.

One thing to note, this has long been the teaching of the universal ordinary magisterium, but only designated as such in 1994. There is a lot that has been taught by all the bishops that has been taught infallibly though it has not been identified as infallibly taught.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back