G
Gwillym
Guest
Greetings All,
First, feel free to move this or tell me to post this elsewhere if this is not the best forum for my question.
Second, I want to say a quick word of thanks. Catholic Answers and Forum have been very helpful in my journey. I entered the Church just two weeks ago at the Easter Vigil 2014!
On to my question, though. I have a protestant buddy who I have been chatting with over the past few months. One of his biggest issues with the Catholic Church is the sacrament of Reconciliation (really, I think his issue is with church authority and the priesthood not with Confession, but I digress). He says that in the Sacrament of Reconciliation the Catholic Church places the priest between the believer and God. This is so because the believer is required to confess to a priest in order to have his Mortal sins forgiven.
Now I understand where he is coming from but honestly I have never seen it like this. I explained to him that confession is only required under normal circumstances and only for mortal (that is grave) sins. That even in the case of mortal sins, if the believer is truly sorry for his sins, with the intent to walk in purity from then on, that the sins are forgiven even before the believer confesses. I also pointed out that, if someone is unwilling to confess, that very fact, at least to me, suggests he may not be truly sorry; or at least he is unwilling to face the consequences and reality of his sin on some level. I pointed out the scriptures where Christ gives the power to forgive sins to the apostles, where James and John tell us to confess our sins (I realize protestants understand those differently) and that the practice is ancient! The Didache makes mention of it and all through out the history of the church, there is this need to be reconciled to the church not just to God. Even Luther kept the practice (though with a different understanding).
None of this seemed to satisfactorily answer the question for him. So I promised I would look into it more.
Problem is, I don’t know any other way to approach the question. Does anyone have any thoughts on a different angle or a different way of explaining the doctrine. In particular to an Evangelical, Spirit blows where it will, House Church attending Protestant?
Thanks,
Gwillym
First, feel free to move this or tell me to post this elsewhere if this is not the best forum for my question.
Second, I want to say a quick word of thanks. Catholic Answers and Forum have been very helpful in my journey. I entered the Church just two weeks ago at the Easter Vigil 2014!
On to my question, though. I have a protestant buddy who I have been chatting with over the past few months. One of his biggest issues with the Catholic Church is the sacrament of Reconciliation (really, I think his issue is with church authority and the priesthood not with Confession, but I digress). He says that in the Sacrament of Reconciliation the Catholic Church places the priest between the believer and God. This is so because the believer is required to confess to a priest in order to have his Mortal sins forgiven.
Now I understand where he is coming from but honestly I have never seen it like this. I explained to him that confession is only required under normal circumstances and only for mortal (that is grave) sins. That even in the case of mortal sins, if the believer is truly sorry for his sins, with the intent to walk in purity from then on, that the sins are forgiven even before the believer confesses. I also pointed out that, if someone is unwilling to confess, that very fact, at least to me, suggests he may not be truly sorry; or at least he is unwilling to face the consequences and reality of his sin on some level. I pointed out the scriptures where Christ gives the power to forgive sins to the apostles, where James and John tell us to confess our sins (I realize protestants understand those differently) and that the practice is ancient! The Didache makes mention of it and all through out the history of the church, there is this need to be reconciled to the church not just to God. Even Luther kept the practice (though with a different understanding).
None of this seemed to satisfactorily answer the question for him. So I promised I would look into it more.
Problem is, I don’t know any other way to approach the question. Does anyone have any thoughts on a different angle or a different way of explaining the doctrine. In particular to an Evangelical, Spirit blows where it will, House Church attending Protestant?
Thanks,
Gwillym