Expressing anger is always a sin?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Rozellelily
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
So it’s more being ‘abusive’ that is sinful and not expressing anger itself?
Yes, that’s my take on it as a lay person. I once heard that the definition of assertiveness is a “positive, productive expression of the self.” If you’re upset, there are healthy and non-sinful ways of asserting your view. Ideally the aim should be to resolve the problem. In your sister’s case, a good goal would be to alert the bureaucrats of a policy change that they should make in order to be more considerate to their clients.
I’m thinking of those forms of therapy that encourage carthasis through some free expression of radical anger, like breaking plates or shouting in a structured session etc
It’s a mixed bag. I’m going to play the “it-depends” card here. The jury’s still out as to whether catharsis and “venting” are helpful or harmful to anger. (There’s mixed research out there).

If you leave a “cathartic” therapy session feeling as renewed as you do after confession, then it shouldn’t be a problem. Catharsis may be helpful to those who routinely suppress how their feelings and haven’t been honest about their anger.

But if quite awhile afterward you’re still dwelling on the trigger and wallowing in anger, then the “venting” clearly isn’t helpful and may be counter-productive. I won’t venture to call it “sinful” if one truly trusts the therapist to do what’s best for them, however.
I’m not sure if expressing anger is always a sin. After all, I’m angry about abortion in our country and sometimes I express that anger.
Now we’re venturing into “righteous anger” territory, and we all walk a tight rope with this one. I’ve been guilty of feeling chronically angry about issues like abortion. And when that anger turns into bitterness, cynicism, and ill treatment of each other, I think it becomes sinful. We all like to allude to Christ overturning tables in the temple all the while forgetting that we’re not Christ. The ideal “righteous anger” is short-lived and has a positive, productive outcome.
 
No. Some forms of anger are justified. Some are not and Mortal or venial sin can arise.

Anger, the desire of vengeance. Its ethical rating depends upon the quality of the vengeance and the quantity of the passion. When these are in conformity with the prescriptions of balanced reason, anger is not a sin. It is rather a praiseworthy thing and justifiable with a proper zeal. It becomes sinful when it is sought to wreak vengeance upon one who has not deserved it, or to a greater extent than it has been deserved, or in conflict with the dispositions of law, or from an improper motive. The sin is then in a general sense mortal as being opposed to justice and charity. It may, however, be venial because the punishment aimed at is but a trifling one or because of lack of full deliberation. Likewise, anger is sinful when there is an undue vehemence in the passion itself, whether inwardly or outwardly. Ordinarily it is then accounted a venial sin unless the excess be so great as to go counter seriously to the love of God or of one’s neighbor.
Yes. Anger is a passion. Passions are not sinful.
Inordinate passions, or disordered passions, are.
 
Well…today I have something to be angry about.

I have blood tests taken,to only find out almost week later they have done it wrong.
I took time away from work to do it,fasted for 8 + hours,my sister took time off to drive me there etc…

Apparently the pathology collector put it in the wrong tube (a similar sounding test) instead of the correct test tube.

It’s natural to feel angry at their incompetence but if feeling they are incompetent is the sin of pride,then what other option do I have to stop these things happening?

There no point of telling the trainer/manager as it was them that made the error.

If I take the option of “micro managing” their job then they take offense to that too.

Often I let things go,everyone makes mistakes,but sometimes I start to feel like a pushover…especially when they don’t offer an apology.
 
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top