Extended fasting: Anybody called?

• Thread starter Thread starter Scanner
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Scanner

I was curious if anyone here has found great spiritual benefit to extended fasting and what their experience has been? I mean beyond meatless Fridays and no breakfast til Mass.

Also, how did it work into your life with work and everything. I feel like I have been called to fast for 1-2 weeks (water fast) but I also feel that I should be spending that time in prayer and spiritual contemplation, not work.

Yet, I have a business that is dependent on me.

Any thoughts?

I think extraordinary mortifications like this need to be done in conjunction with the virtue of obedience; otherwise they can lead to spiritual pride. Perhaps you should consult with your confessor or spiritual director before beginning such a fast.

Betsy

A few years ago, I did a great deal of fasting. After unintentionally dropping 10 pounds (which is unhealthy for a woman of my size), my parish priest advised me against such fasting.

We must remember two things concerning fasting: 1) Our bodies are temples of the Holy Spirit 2) Everything in moderation. Fasting is a wonderful practise, but it should be done in moderation and should not make us unhealthy. I believe that a fast of 1-2 weeks would be unhealthy for you, and God does not desire that. I suggest that you perform a traditional bread & water fast on a certain day once a week, and then fast from things other than food (e.g. television). If you are wishing to make sacrifices to join to Jesus’ sacrifice in order to save souls, I think an excellent thing to sacrifice is time. Do you attend daily Mass? You might consider that, or getting up a half hour earlier than you usually do so that you can pray. Also, as the psalmist says, offer a “sacrifice of praise” to God. Too often we focus on petitions, and we forget to praise God for how wonderful He is. Before you do any kind of sacrifice, consult a priest or spiritual director. If that person thinks it is too harsh a sacrifice, don’t do it. Offer up your obedience to authority as a sacrifice, and praise God!

Another thought… You said you felt you should be spending your fasting time in prayer and contemplation. Two weeks of fasting would make you so weak you wouldn’t be able to work anyway. I do not think this is what God desires. God created us each to do specific functions, and when we perform the functions He created us to do, we give Him glory. For most of His life, Our Lord worked as a carpenter, and He thus gave everyday work a sanctity that we cannot comprehend. Therefore, we should not be doing things that prevent us from this work He has assigned to us unless we are absolutely sure that this is His will. God has assigned you the work that you do, so approach it with a new vigor. Offer up your work to Him with a joyful heart, and do not damage the Lord’s temple (your body), with too rigorous a fast. God bless!

Jessica,

Thank you for your replies. I don’t think extended fasting is harmful to our bodies. Remember, it is only in the last 100-200 years that we have become accustomed to injesting food 3x/day. The human body is meant to endure periods without food. In fact, some argue our metabolisms are actually meant for periods of feast and famine.

But you are right. I do worry about the “weakness” thing. I know the hunger feeling disappears after 3 days, but I don’t think you are exactly the epitomy of strength either.

I am a meaty guy so I know my body can take it. It is balancing the practice with the rest of my life that I am finding difficult. Perhaps a week vacation to a religious retreat combined with a water fast would be good. I could focus on prayer then and see what good physical deprivation does for the spirit.

I suggest that you perform a traditional bread & water fast on a certain day once a week, and then fast from things other than food (e.g. television).

Yes, I have thought of that too and will consider it.

** If you are wishing to make sacrifices to join to Jesus’ sacrifice in order to save souls, I think an excellent thing to sacrifice is time. Do you attend daily Mass?**

No, very difficult with my business. Maybe “fasting on work” is what I need although then I worry about “sloth”.

You might consider that, or getting up a half hour earlier than you usually do so that you can pray. Also, as the psalmist says, offer a “sacrifice of praise” to God. Too often we focus on petitions, and we forget to praise God for how wonderful He is. Before you do any kind of sacrifice, consult a priest or spiritual director. If that person thinks it is too harsh a sacrifice, don’t do it. Offer up your obedience to authority as a sacrifice, and praise God!

Thanks for the advice. It’s very good.

First I would caution as others have and would suggest any extended type of fasting be done with a confessor’s knowledge, advice and permission. That said, one other concern is the type of work and life we live now. This isn’t an agrarian society. We drive vehicles that can cause others harm by our mistake. Many jobs, if we are not functioning properly, can put others at risk. So fasting while on retreat would probably be the safest imho.

If you have not read the book To Love Fasting by Adalbert de Vogue, you might check it out. That and remembering the above suggestions.

Hi Scanner!

Last month I had the opportunity to go away to the desert in Nevada with some friends for prayer and fasting. No food, no radio or TV, more or less silence during the day, with nice bonfires and fellowship morning and evenings. It was wonderful and very beneficial. We did a water fast, with bullion and vitamin supplements allowed, and sometimes Crystal Light for flavor without calories. I was amazed at how quickly I stopped being hungry, although I missed food – the pleasure of eating, I mean. Even when we broke our fast (four days), although I really wanted the food, I wasn’t truly hungry.

I agree with the cautionary statements others have made, especially about consulting your spiritual director first, before attempting a prolonged fast. I especially caution you about not allowing yourself to become spiritually prideful.

One of the guys told me that he had done a 40-day water fast, and that it had been good for him, but I would certainly advise some serious discernment before attempting that!! Not to mention a consult with your doctor. Once you go beyond a week or so, there are issues with “re-entry” to the world and a gradual return to a normal diet.

Remember that the spiritual benefits may not occur during the fast, but afterward; avoiding the temptation to binge after fasting can prolong this. I have this on good authority, but I must confess I totally binged after my fast.

Pax Christi,

Jim

Scanner, I would definitely get a thorough medical checkup before starting such a lengthy fast. Some conditions, such as adult onset diabetes, can be life- threatening when exacerbated by the “feast or famine” approach.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back