Family Bible

  • Thread starter Thread starter luvpinsanity
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
L

luvpinsanity

Guest
My fiancee and I are getting married in a few weeks, and I would really like to get us a family Bible that we can read together- we currently only have FI’s study bible from when he went to college.

Does anyone have any suggestions or recommendations? This is one that I was looking at from Ignatius Press (but there are no pictures of the inside). Family Bible

Thank you so much, and God Bless.
 
Bibles are like rosaries: you ideally have more than one in the house per person.

I’d recommend you each get a sturdy quality-bound Catholic study Bible to read from and, if you like, a bigger one with large print (with pictures inside, if you like) in which you can record family milestones, such as births and marriages. The big ones are usually put together more like coffee table books than study Bibles: something the little ones love to have you show them through, but not footnoted or annotated as you’d like if you’re studying Holy Scripture.

Keep the big one on a high shelf and bring it down for regular but special occasions when your children arrive. My parents’ has crayon marks in it…not that charming in the long run, actually!
 
Thanks so much for your suggestion. We will be getting another Bible for Christmas, we just can only afford one purchase right now and I’d really like a family Bible. I intend to get a Family Bible, a Douay-Rheims Bible with the Latin Vulgate, and likely a normal “daily” Bible. 🙂

There was a link on my first post it might not have been too clear but “Family Bible” is a link.
 
For a family bible I would suggest one with full color pictures that you can share with your children (when the time comes). I still remember so clearly looking through the pictures as a 5 year old. That was over 50 years ago. And I still have that very same bible and still love to look at the pictures sometimes.

A family bible can be a family heirloom to be cherished for generations, so I would get the nicest one I could afford even if it meant skimping on something else.

I saw this one in a bookstore and it was pretty:

adoremusbooks.com/catholicfamilybibledivinemercyedition-hardcover.aspx?zmam=46742494&zmas=1&zmac=2&zmap=92515&gclid=CNe1g_mi17ICFUeRPAodei8Amw

The one I saw was shrink-wrapped, but it seems to be pretty comprehensive as far as having all the bells and whistles.

God bless…
 
I got a really fancy family bible while looking for a personal bible years back. And I figured that I should keep it because I figured I would get married eventually. It’s big and has nice pictures, places for info on the kids (8 spots, typical Catholic, right? ha ha), and some maps too.

I have it put away for now, so I can’t pull it out to tell you who it’s from. It is an NAB though, I know that much, with big print, and I believe it is also a red letter edition. It’s white and leather bound.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top