fasting and abstinence

• Thread starter Thread starter tjaart
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
T

tjaart

i quote from the catholic encyclopedia on new advent website: …the roman church appointed a period of fasting and abstinence as a preparation for the solemnization of christmas. traces of this custom are still to be found in the roman breviary indicating the recitation of ferial prayers during advent just as on days of fasting and abstinence…
please explain/comment

I don’t understand what it is you are asking to have explained.

a period of fasting and abstinence as a preparation for the solemnization of christmas

Yes. Advent is a time of preparation for the coming of the Saviour. The Eastern church retains this as a time of fasting and abstinence. I believe the dietary restrictions (which are a tradition–lower t–and changeable) have been lessened in the Western church canons. The preparatory concept is still in full force.

ferial prayers

Ferial: of or relating to or being a feria
Feria: a day on the Liturgical calendar on which no feast is observed.

just as on days of fasting and abstinence

All of advent is treated in a manner of preparation through the daily (ferial) recitation of prayers appropriate for a penitential season (fasting and abstinence).

Did you simply not understand or do you take offense at the suggestion that we should prepare ourselves for the Saviour’s birth or do you perhaps believe fasting and abstinence should be re-instituted throughout Advent in the western canons? I do not understand what it is you are seeking.

The Confraternity of Penitents (www.penitents.org) begins its pre-Christmas fast on November 12 (the day after the Feast of St. Martin). We fast daily (except Sundays and Solemnities) according to the rule of the Church for Good Friday.

It has been common in the past for people of an observant frame of mind to abstain from meat on the Wednesdays and Fridays of Advent.

thankyou, both, forestpine and mercygate,

i would like to spend this advent seriously celebrating the coming of christmas and the days after that - because i am disabled and can not go to any church (of which i at the moment do not belong to any) i have to organize this for myself as far as possible
i need discipline and order to do that and would like to stick as closely as possible to the catholic way of celebrating this feast because it seems to me to be the most careful and rich way of doing it from what i have seen and read on the net
fasting and abstinence on certain days i know would be good for me, as well as praying and contemplating the mysteries of christmas time by daily readings of scripture and prayer - on the other hand celebrating feast days with joy and good things to eat will provide the other pole
i celebrated lent with friends once a long time ago and will never forget the (sometimes agonizing) time of abstinence and fasting followed by a glorious celebration of the Resurrection on Holy Sunday

fast and abstinence are the traditional means of preparing for festivals and solemnities of the Church. the Lenten fast was prescribed, and is still required on Ash Wed. and Good Friday, optional on other weekdays of Lent, but some penitential practice during Lent and all Fridays of the year is still required. Now we abstain from meat only on those 2 days above and the Fridays of Lent. There used to be a presecribed Advent fast and abstinence as well, but that discipline was relaxed a long time ago. However, the penitential aspect of Advent should be retained in voluntary penitential acts, especially in avoiding celebratory actions before the actual feast of Christmas.

Caution: for a person who is ill or cannot fast and abstain because of health concerns, these disciplines are never obligatory, and may be actively discouraged, i.e. for a diabetic. For those of us which chronic medical conditions, adhering to the dietary restrictions imposed by our doctors itself constitutes a fast.

Please call the Catholic Church nearest to you and ask for someone to visit you. Even if you are not a member and cannot receive communion, most parishes have a ministry to visiting the sick and shut-ins. If you reside in the parish boundaries they will be happy to visit you, even if you are not Catholic.
Ferial days just meant, in the old calendar, days on which no feast or memorial was celebrated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back