Fasting in Lent...

  • Thread starter Thread starter Emily2009
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
E

Emily2009

Guest
Hello.
When and for whom is fasting mandated?

I am an 18-year-old girl, who is relatively small (5’4 3/4’’, 105lbs), and I tend to become sick if I don’t eat when hungry…my stomach cramps up, my head aches and I get dizzy, etc. I don’t eat a lot at a time, but I eat often (sometimes up to six or seven small meals a day).

Should I fast, too? Or, is it alright to eat my numerous small meals?
 
First of all the symptoms you describe are not out of the ordinary for someone who is fasting; however, you might want to check with your doctor if you have to eat six or seven times a day to keep from feeling that way.

The rule of thumb for fasting is one regular meal and then two smaller meals that when combined would not exceed the size of one regular meal.

To read a great article on why we fast…go here.
 
I know the symptoms are not abnormal for one who is fasting, but they do not occur just if I fast, this is everyday, like…three or so hours after I eat… …that is why I wonder about fasting…
 
Fasting is incumbent upon healthy Catholics, and upon them only. Do consult your physician. If it imposes a health risk, then there is no obligation.

Not all in the age range must fast, as it happens. Nursing mothers or those doing manual labour are exempt. When I was combat aircrew in the Royal Canadian Air Force, we were dispensed of the obligation.

That said, it is a serious obligation, but one with specific conditions.

Blessings,

Gerry
 
What you’re describing happening on a regular basis doesn’t seem very normal. As well as speaking to a doctor, maybe talk to a nutritionist or registered dietician and make sure you are eating a healthy and properly proportioned diet, and make sure everything else is ok, like blood sugar.
If it turns out you have a medical issue and you cannot fast, like someone else said, that’s understandable.
But you should really see some professionals and find out why this is happening to you, and what you can do to take care of it.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top