Favorite Prayers

• Thread starter Thread starter workinprogress8
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
W

workinprogress8

Just wondering what everyone’s favorite prayer is and why.

I have always liked the one that you can send your angel to daily Mass. I said it a lot years ago when I did not have a car to get there. Now I find that prayer that comes from my heart has so much merit. As I tell the children God wants to hear their chatter. So I chatter a lot in all my daily visits to the chapel. I find it refreshing and what is in my heart truly goes to God.

"My Lord and my God, take from me everything that distances me from you.

My Lord and my God, give me everything that brings me closer to you.

My Lord and my God, detach me from myself to give my all to you."

-Saint Nicholas of Flue

I keep a notebook just for favorite prayers, hymns or religious poems.
One of my very favorites is an evening prayer attributed to St. Augustine.

“Watch, O Lord, with those who wake, or watch, or weep tonight, and give your angels and saints charge over those who sleep. Tend Your sick ones, O Lord Christ. Rest your weary ones, bless Your dying ones, soothe Your suffering ones, pity Your afflicted ones, shield Your joyous ones, and all for Your love’s sake.”
Amen

My favorite prayer is:

The Mass.

It unites us with the sacrifice of Jesus, the wedding feast of the King, and the entire community of believers as well as provides us with the Eucharist, the Heavenly food that brings us into closer union with God.

It also brings us most of God’s word in the two year daily cycle and three year Sunday cycle, celebrates those who lived heroic lives before us and the major event of Christ and His Church as well as brings us good (if the priests are loyal to the magicterium) homilies helping us live holier lives.

My favourite prayers are the ones I say from the heart, the ones I speak my own words and are meant from my heart to Jesus’ Heart, God’s Heart, the Holy spirit and Mary’s Heart.

God bless you and much love and peace to you

Teresa

When I first heard the Chaplet of Divine Mercy on EWTN I immediately was deeply moved. At the time I knew nothing of it. I find it beautful.

So many “favorites”! Here’s a recent favorite:

Let the whole of humanity tremble, the whole world shake and the heavens exult when our Lord Jesus Christ, the Son of the living God, is present on the altar in the hands of a priest!

O admirable heights and sublime lowliness! O sublime humility! O humble sublimity! That the Lord of the universe, God and the Son of God, so humbles Himself that for our salvation He hides Himself under the little form of bread!

Look at the humility of God and pour out your hearts before Him! Humble yourselves as well, that you may be exalted by Him. Therefore, hold back nothing of yourselves for yourselves, so that He who gives Himself totally to you may receive you totally. Amen.

St. Francis of Assisi

THE PRAYER OF ST. FRANCIS
**Lord, make me a channel of thy peace**, **that where there is hatred**, I may bring love; **that where there is wrong**, I may bring the spirit of forgiveness; **that where there is discord**, I may bring harmony; **that where there is error**, I may bring truth; **that where there is doubt**, I may bring faith; **that where there is despair**, I may bring hope; **that where there are shadows**, I may bring light; **that where there is sadness**, I may bring joy. **Lord, grant that I may seek rather to comfort** than to be comforted; **to understand**, than to be understood; **to love**, than to be loved. **For it is by self-forgetting** that one finds. **It is by forgiving** that one is forgiven. **It is by dying** that one awakens to Eternal Life.

Those are great prayers! 🙂
Townsend- that’s a terrific idea about a notebook!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back