Favorite Retreat Centers

• Thread starter Thread starter T.A.Stobie_SFO
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
T

T.A.Stobie_SFO

Most retreat centers are known locally and not well-known even regionally or nationally.

I thought it would be nice to a thread where people can share their favorite retreat centers so those who are travelling can visit them or use them instead of motels/hotels.

It you know a website for the location, please include it.

Thanks.

T.A.Stobie:
I thought it would be nice to a thread where people can share their favorite retreat centers so those who are travelling can visit them or use them instead of motels/hotels.
How does this work? It has never occurred to me to stay in a retreat center.

Ellen

Located in metro Kansas City in Independence, Missouri, this beautiful site containing the Sisters of St. Francis of the Eucharist Motherhouse and Retreat Center is a great place to make a retreat. They do have various retreats going on at any time.

It is a very peaceful spot with plenty of trees.

They do not have a webpage, but I found this link for them with some contact info. URL: cmswr.org/member_communities/SSFHE.htm

Ellen Marie:
How does this work? It has never occurred to me to stay in a retreat center.
It varies by retreat center. Some offer rooms, some offer specific retreats, some off individual retreats, some you can arrange meals. Some have lots of tourists, other tend to be people on retreats only. You need to contact the specific retreat center for find out what they offer, how much they charge, and any restrictions or requirements on the retreatants.

It is run by the Missionary Oblates of Mary Immaculate and is located in Belleville, Illinois (a suburb of metro St. Louis).

It has lodging facilities for tourists as well as retreatants.

It is a beautiful site to explore.

It website is at snows.org/ and contains lots of further details.

If travelling via the roads and staying near St. Louis, this is an excellent place to stay.

[Thread=6821]Discussion about Clear Creek Monastery[/Thread]

Marines posted this thread about this monastery as a great place to visit.

[post=78063]Post about the White House Retreat Center[/post]

DBT in a post about best retreats ever attended, replied about the White House Retreat center run by the Jesuits in St. Louis, MO.

My wife also has been to and enjoys this retreat center as well.

Anyone else with any to add? There must be some more good ones out there.

In NJ, there is the hermitage of Bethlehem which allows guests to live for a few days to a week in the solitude of the Hermits of Bethlehem of the Heart of Jesus. These hermits live like the desert fathers and mothers and welcome guests into the desert experience. Activities are few as the guests go there for silence and solitude. There is daily mass, solemn vespers on Saturday, and morning prayer before mass on Sunday. The rest of the time is spent in solitude. There is also time for exposition and adoration in the chapel. The Desert Father can provide spirital direction and confession if requested.

For info you can write:
Hermitage of Bethlehem
82 Pleasant Hill Road
Chester, NJ 07930

or call:

908-879-7059

Go here for some photos:
eremos.brinkster.net/hbhj/default.htm

Queen of the Family retreat center is great, There is a nice one in NY Bethasda retreat center in New York.

St. Therese Retreat Center in Columbus, OH is very nice. They have cut back on the land over the years for senior housing and the like, but the Retreat Center is still a very restful place… Beutiful chapel, grotto, outdoor stations, clean and spartan accomodations, great food, room for roaming and reflection. And they have a wide range of annul retreats (some silent, some interactive) with good retreat masters.

Not that I have tried out any other sites for comparison though, since this is the only center anywhere close by. It is run by the Diocese of Columbus, OH.

st-therese-retreat.org/

except for Belleville, I don’t believe I have ever been to a retreat center that could be used like a hotel. My favorite most life changing retreats were at the Sacred Heart Retreat Center in Youngstown, Ohio. another thread asks when was the first time you definitely “knew” God was real? This place is where I became aware for the first time of the reality and action of the Holy Spirit.

Went for several years on one-week directed retreat at the Jesuit Retreat House in Parma, Ohio during a period of great life changes, major decisions, you can’t beat Jesuits for spiritual direction at a time like that.

I love Lebh Shomea, in Sarita Texas, on the Kenedy Ranch (property donated to the Oblates of Mary Immaculate by the family), between Corpus Christi and Brownsville. While you can meet with a spiritual director, this is the place for silence, contemplation, a desert experience of a night, weekend, week or longer. Their library is outstanding. There is a large hacienda with rooms, and individual hermitages for longer stays, and resident hermits on site. It is also a nature preserve.

My new favorite is the newly completed Benedictine Monastery of the Good Shepherd in Starr County, Texas. The main building with sisterss’ residence and chapel has been completed, and when finished this will be the finest retreat center in the Rio Grande Valley.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back