Fear of Death and Dying

• Thread starter Thread starter jax2419
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jax2419

Hello everyone. I’ve noticed other topics related to mine but I’m still not sure how to deal with it. I will be getting help for this soon, but I was wondering if anyone on here had any advice. My family is Catholic, but I’m the only one who is really practicing. My dad takes me to Church but that’s about it. From what I can understand, my mom and sister have the belief that if you are a good person you will go to Heaven, I think my dad has that belief too. I have no room to judge them. I wouldn’t know their personal relationships with God. The Church considers it a mortal sin to not go to Church, if they don’t confess that, what happens?? It’s a terrifying thought and I don’t know how to guide them. It’s giving me so much fear and I really worry about them. That being said, I’m not perfect either of course, nor am I trying to say I am better. How could I get them all on the path to God and the Church? I understand death is natural, and there is nothing anyone can do about it, but this fear is taking over. I think that I need to get to confession ASAP just in case something were to happen to me, as we do not know the time or the hour. It’s really hard to have this weighing on me. Maybe I am not understanding death? Maybe it’s fear of the unknown? I’m so lost. If anyone has advice, Bible chapters to read, anything. I would really appreciate anything. Thank you.

Last edited:
Suggestions: For yourself, ask the Holy Spirit, Our Lady and your Guardian Angel to help you prepare for confession and Holy Communion. Make a good thanksgiving after confession and especially after Holy Communion. The Saints say that the best time to ask God for graces is when you have Him within you after receiving Him in Holy Communion. Then ask God to bring your mom and your sister back to the Sacraments. Keep persevering in prayer for them. God will bring them back, but He wills that we should cooperate with Him. Ask Our Mother of Perpetual Help for their conversion. (Her icon is my avatar.) She will intercede for them too!

I have a similar situation so I know where you’re coming from.

If your dad hasn’t been to confession lately, then encourage him to go too.

I’ve seen death so many times and escaped it (sometimes literally by inches!) that I always go to confession and Holy Communion whenever possible. I don’t want to be unprepared for eternity.

From a sudden and unprovided death, deliver us, O Lord!

Mother of Perpetual Help, pray for us!

I recommend reading St Robert Bellarmines The Art of Dying Well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back