Fear

• Thread starter Thread starter SusanL
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

SusanL

Jesus did not give us a spirit of fear so what do you do when you feel consumed by it? Right now there is a fear of terrorism, a fear of the wrong party winning the Presidency and a fear of the serious decline of morals in the United States (and the rest of the world). Intellectually I know that God is in charge but that doesn’t rid me of my rational/irrational fears.

When I bring up the possibility of bombings to others I see the fear in their eyes, too.

Do you feel fear? Is there anything that you can suggest?

Thank you in advance for your response.

SusanL: See my post under Spirituality / The “Holy Hour” – How To Do It? I know western NY is not what it used to be.

Here is what I think can be a start towards revival:

1) a daily quiet time or a daily “Holy Hour”.
OK. If an hour is too much. At least 5 minutes a day.
Every day. Grow it longer only if you can. And it just might once God gets ahold of you.
2) Help Organize a “Prayer Chain” in your Church
Here is how that goes. Get a bunch of pages together (like a scheduler) and post them. Each person who wants to signs up for a half-hour slot and agrees to be at prayer during that time.
3) If you are not involved in a ministry somehow in your Church, volunteer. Even if it is to drive an invalid to their doctor once in a while. Perhaps volunteer to sponsor someone at RCIA / RCIC. Maybe help establish a “food pantry” ministry to supply food for those in need.

40.png
jmm08:
SusanL: See my post under Spirituality / The “Holy Hour” – How To Do It? I know western NY is not what it used to be.

Here is what I think can be a start towards revival:

1) a daily quiet time or a daily “Holy Hour”.
OK. If an hour is too much. At least 5 minutes a day.
Every day. Grow it longer only if you can. And it just might once God gets ahold of you.
2) Help Organize a “Prayer Chain” in your Church
Here is how that goes. Get a bunch of pages together (like a scheduler) and post them. Each person who wants to signs up for a half-hour slot and agrees to be at prayer during that time.
3) If you are not involved in a ministry somehow in your Church, volunteer. Even if it is to drive an invalid to their doctor once in a while. Perhaps volunteer to sponsor someone at RCIA / RCIC. Maybe help establish a “food pantry” ministry to supply food for those in need.
Those are all good ideas but I need ideas to conquer fear. The kind that puts knots in your throat. Any suggestions?

Are you speaking of Fear of Fear? If so, then I can speak to that at great lengths… I had been under the grips of fear(phobias) for many years cause initially by Anxiety Disorder. When faced, they dissipate and sometimes go away altogether … I have learned to just trust God and give it to Him and proceed no matter how fearful I am…not always an easy thing to do. I have had many falls and have nearly given into despair… then I cry out with all that I have within me…He hasn’t let me down yet.

Let go and let God…🙂

40.png
Annunciata:
Are you speaking of Fear of Fear? If so, then I can speak to that at great lengths… I had been under the grips of fear(phobias) for many years cause initially by Anxiety Disorder. When faced, they dissipate and sometimes go away altogether … I have learned to just trust God and give it to Him and proceed no matter how fearful I am…not always an easy thing to do. I have had many falls and have nearly given into despair… then I cry out with all that I have within me…He hasn’t let me down yet.

Let go and let God…🙂
They are underlying fears. You don’t have to think of them consciously but they’re there. Oh heck! I might as well spill my guts!!

I’m afraid of the terrorists and what they’re going to do.

Of where this country is headed to.

Even driving at 60 mph I get hysterical. Now I can’t drive on the thruway anymore.

This has me by the throat. Jesus doesn’t give me a spirit of fear so why does this even exist? How do I overcome it?
(And please don’t suggest I see a psychologist! I think that this can be handled spiritually).

40.png
SusanL:
They are underlying fears. You don’t have to think of them consciously but they’re there. Oh heck! I might as well spill my guts!!

I’m afraid of the terrorists and what they’re going to do.

Of where this country is headed to.

Even driving at 60 mph I get hysterical. Now I can’t drive on the thruway anymore.

This has me by the throat. Jesus doesn’t give me a spirit of fear so why does this even exist? How do I overcome it?
(And please don’t suggest I see a psychologist! I think that this can be handled spiritually).
Wow Susan!
We live in times such as these were fear of terrorism is a real thing…most people I know are afraid, but ask yourself, what you can do to prevent this? Nadda. I have had couseling over the years, some helped and some didn’t…It was when I started getting Spiritual Direction, things got a whole lot better. For me it will always be a battle because of the chemical imbalance I have which produces anxiety which is mostly at the root of irrational fear (at least for me). Sometimes it can be spiritual. I caution you to be careful about solely blaming it on that though…that’s why I recommend Spiritual Direction, preferably by a priest. There are no quick fixes with irrational fear…sometimes as I said in a previous post you just have to trust God. Hope this helps, In Christ, Annunciata:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back