Feast Day (4/27)- St. Louis Mary de Montfort

• Thread starter Thread starter jrabs
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jrabs

I know there are many here who have consecrated themselves to the Sacred Heart of Jesus through the Immaculate Heart of Mary using St Louis de Montfort’s method.

St. Louis, please pray for us today and always, that we may have the deep devotion to Our Blessed Mother and Our Lord that you had.

This is his feast day and a bit about him.
April 27, 2005 St. Louis Mary de Montfort

(1673-1716)

Louis’s life is inseparable from his efforts to promote genuine devotion to Mary, the mother of Jesus and mother of the Church.Totus tuus(completely yours) was Louis’s personal motto; Karol Wojtyla chose it as his episcopal motto.

Born in the Breton village of Montfort, close to Rennes (France), as an adult Louis identified himself by the place of his Baptism instead of his family name, Grignion. After being educated by the Jesuits and the Sulpicians, he was ordained as a diocesan priest in 1700.

Soon he began preaching parish missions throughout western France. His years of ministering to the poor prompted him to travel and live very simply, sometimes getting him into trouble with Church authorities. In his preaching, which attracted thousands of people back to the faith, Father Louis recommended frequent, even daily, Holy Communion (not the custom then!) and imitation of the Virgin Mary’s ongoing acceptance of God’s will for her life.

Louis founded the Missionaries of the Company of Mary (for priests and

brothers) and the Daughters of Wisdom, who cared especially for the sick. His book, True Devotion to the Blessed Virgin, has become a classic explanation of Marian devotion.

Louis died in Saint-Laurent-sur-Sèvre, where a basilica has been erected in his honor. He was canonized in 1947.

(This entry appears in the print edition of Saint of the Day.)

http://community.webtv.net/Tortorella/Trinitarian

Hi Jrabs–
I thought the 28th was his feast day and the 29th my patron saint Catherine of Siena (she USED to be April 30 but that was changed). When did they change St. Louis to the 27th? The only place I saw him on the 27th was on the link you provided–Catholic Culture, Kensmen and Catholic Online all have the 28th.

But hey–I’ll just pray for him BOTH days! SImple solution from my brilliant (cough-cough-hack) brain, right?

I have an interview tomorrow; will let you know how it goes.

Tantum ergo:
Hi Jrabs–
I thought the 28th was his feast day and the 29th my patron saint Catherine of Siena (she USED to be April 30 but that was changed). When did they change St. Louis to the 27th? The only place I saw him on the 27th was on the link you provided–Catholic Culture, Kensmen and Catholic Online all have the 28th.

But hey–I’ll just pray for him BOTH days! SImple solution from my brilliant (cough-cough-hack) brain, right?

I have an interview tomorrow; will let you know how it goes.
hmmm - interesting that you mention that! I guess he was smart enough to think of a way to get 2 feast days?

Not sure what the deal is so lets pray both days. PS - I know you’d chime in - my sis in Christ! 👋

I am on an email list for Carmelite order and recieved a notice that Louis Mary de Montfort’s feast day is today as well. My liturgy of the hours book has Catherine of Siena’s feast day as the 29th…she is one of my absolute favorite saints, though not formally a patron saint.

I kind of adopt additional patron saints, as I learn about people who inspire my socks off. Her book The Dialogues blew me away and completely changed my life and made me more hopeful about everything during a very desperate time. I wish I could have a party for her.

40.png
serendipity:
I wish I could have a party for her.
OK - lets! A party for Catherine it is. Start a thread on Friday and we’ll bring food and have a nice prayer service. I make a great spinach artichoke dip.

I love Catherine too but as a typical guy around the kitchen I guess that means I’m bringing the chips 🙂

40.png
jrabs:
I make a great spinach artichoke dip.
Sounds like a plan…that’s my type of party. A great cause for celebration and great dip.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back