Fee for organist at catholic wedding/mass

  • Thread starter Thread starter ELLBEE
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
True. That said, most organists I work with are parish employees. They are paid separately for their Sunday work, rehearsals, etc. Then, they have to rely on the couples or their families to provide the fee for the wedding. Now, some parishes will have an all-inclusive fee for the church, cantor/soloist, organist, etc. and I believe then the parish will pay all the people involved. Otherwise, it’s like the former.

The OP may need to look into that, if he hasn’t already, since the fee may already be included in the entire amount needed to get married at the church.
quite right, the fee might already be included in what he might consider the outrageous fees charged by the parish for this and other expenses involved in a wedding. I know of no paid organists or other music ministers down here in Catholic parishes but the situation may be different in wealthier dioceses.
 
quite right, the fee might already be included in what he might consider the outrageous fees charged by the parish for this and other expenses involved in a wedding. I know of no paid organists or other music ministers down here in Catholic parishes but the situation may be different in wealthier dioceses.
I think the romans figure it on what you need or want.
then people and building rental and cleanup. maybe they pay non-employees and/or stipends to others.
 
Wow, after reading all these, I think our parish needs a raise.
Indeed. I have yet to do a wedding, but I’ve done several funerals (yes, that tells you something about the composition of my parish, and no doubt prompts macabre jokes about the dying mainline–actually there was a wedding at my parish, but I had another commitment), and typically have been paid $50-60. On the other hand, my qualifications as an organist are extremely limited–I was a pianist, and an amateur at that, before taking on the post at my extremely small parish. And since I knew we were in serious financial trouble, I offered to do it for free. . . . . I’ve been taking organ lessons and have been improving, but I’m still no great shakes.
 
My, Oh My, how times have changed. In 1966 my wife and I paid the organist $25.00. And she was very pleased with it.
 
Of course, gas was 24 cents a gallon and we thought a monthly salary of $350.00 was more than adequate.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top