I
icouch
Guest
So, I’ve been teetering for a few days on religion for a few days, and I’ve got questions…
- To what extent should people be christian? People want to get out and enjoy their lives, their friends and family, but christianity calls people to be like jesus. How can we expect to be like jesus when we’re only human? I don’t see how people can really get out and enjoy life when they’re called to be holy. If they do so then they merely spend less time with friends and family, and life. If a man strikes you down or threatens your family, should you not defend yourself? If we’re supposed to trust in God for the answers and wait for God to guide our lives, then what’s the point of following certain commands in the new and old testament? I’d like to go throughout my day without worrying about my life, with the knowledge that it’s in God’s hands, but at the same time it seems hard to actually call myself a christian. To worry about other people’s problems and help other people is to take the world upon our shoulders, which does not seem like something we’re meant to do, because when we do we miss out on the wonderful lives we have with friends and family, with the good times we could be having but aren’t.
- Is it healthy to raise a child a certain religion? Should they not get out and experience life on their own, and then decide to follow christ or a certain religion? I was confirmed at age 17 against my own will - I went through the process without caring and got confirmed without caring, so what was the point of me getting confirmed? I was raised catholic (or forced to go to church every weekend), but my elementary and highschool life we’re anything but catholic (I’ve gone to catholic schools for my entire life until college, now). I feel I had to learn life’s lessons the hard way through highschool, and that me going to church every weekend and, for one year, praying every night, had no effect or relation.