Fighting Lukewarmness

• Thread starter Thread starter coralewisjr
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
C

coralewisjr

I know what is right and what is wrong. I might be paranoid but I’ve been reading a lot of good books lately (C.S. Lewis, Christopher West, and more) and my faith is maturing as I learn on CAF, yet I’m afraid that I’ll become lukewarm. I really don’t want that. How do you fight lukewarmness and complacency? I think that two solutions are getting more sleep, journaling more, and praying more. I feel a tiny bit useless sometimes because I can’t drive and I’m supposed to stay off my feet, so I can’t go and protest at an abortion clinic and I can’t volunteer at a crisis pregnancy center and I can’t volunteer at the Catholic thrift store in town. Hopefully this will make me pray more. God bless you!

my Mother my Confidence,
Corinne

Daily Mass whether you “feel like it” or not. (If at all possible.) Daily Rosary, daily lectio divina.

40.png
Pentecost2005:
Daily Mass whether you “feel like it” or not. (If at all possible.) Daily Rosary, daily lectio divina.
DH and I attend only the Traditional Latin Mass now and that’s an hour away so it’s not practical. Otherwise I would. I would love to adore Jesus at the church a mile away but then I would have to ask DH to drive me there; we’re usually busy during the day (hopefully he will start working from home today!) and I need to get a lot more sleep. I’m already working on praying the rosary daily. Please email me with more info about the daily lectio divina.

my Mother my Confidence,
Corinne

Dear Corinne,

I was just thinking about Jesus’s words this morning from the gospel of John, (10:7-9) that “I am the door of the sheep, and if anyone enters by Me, he shall be safe and shall find pasture.”

As long as you enter the “door” of prayer through devotion to Jesus, I don’t think you will have any trouble finding rich pasture, and food for your heart to keep the flame of love ignited. I have not read the books you mentioned, but your spirit will know if they are providing food to increase your desire to know and love Him. When any book fails to provide solid nourishment and lift you into heart talks with Jesus, or quicken you to grow in virtue, you would need to set it down and ask the Lord to lead you to another.

I trust you already know that the book is meant to be a springboard to the real meat of prayer, talking it over with Christ, alert for the thoughts He inspires, thanking and praising Him, etc. You no doubt have read, too, about the importance of setting time daily to be with Him in mental prayer.

Sometimes, people get lost on the road through trying novel ideas or reading books that serve only to inflate pride. Jesus teaches that unless we enter the door through Him, but try to enter any other way, we are a thief and a robber.

The holy fear you expressed about becoming lukewarm, reveals the deep love that is already abiding within you. :clapping:

Carole

40.png
coralewisjr:
II feel a tiny bit useless sometimes because I can’t drive and I’m supposed to stay off my feet, so I can’t go and protest at an abortion clinic and I can’t volunteer at a crisis pregnancy center and I can’t volunteer at the Catholic thrift store in town.
Oh, I know how you feel! I get so frustrated sometimes because I have these beautiful plans that I’d like to do for God, and He has these different beautiful plans that He wants me to do for Him! Even in trying to live a good Christian life it is difficult to accept God’s will over our own.

I was on bedrest with one pregnancy and ended up hospitalized for several weeks. Talk about feeling useless! But God uses us in our weakness sometimes more than when we are strong. Offer up your sufferings for the unborn. You might prefer to be demonstrating outside an abortion clinic, but God prefers you to be elsewhere right now. I think a woman gracefull accepting a difficult pregnancy for the sake of her unborn child is one of the best ways to witness for life.

It’s easy to do the things we like for God. It’s a lot tougher to do what He wants us to do for Him. I’m struggling with that right now too. I never thought of that as lukewarmness. I think I can be pretty passionate about my faith, but I sometimes passionately want God to do my will instead of the other way around.

“Lectio divina” is Latin for “divine reading.”

“A VERY ANCIENT art, practiced at one time by all Christians, is the technique known as lectio divina - a slow, contemplative praying of the Scriptures which enables the Bible, the Word of God, to become a means of union with God.”

The above quotation is from this Introduction:

valyermo.com/ld-art.html

Dear friend

To be passionate in faith we must be a people of prayer, a person who’s soul is constantly absorbed in prayer will never be lukewarm.

Prayer is the greatest work of Mercy a soul can do for another. All things are clarified in prayer.

The practice of the Presence of God through unceasing prayer is the fount, basis and solid rock of all faith, this life of prayer in union with the Holy Spirit is the faith that is on fire.

God Bless you and much love and peace to you

Teresa

…pray to the Holy Ghost to guide you… how do you pray to the Holy Ghost?.. find a quiet room, sit down and shut up!.. listen, quiet your thoughts, quiet your breathing, your heart rate… relax and listen!.. when you can fully relax… "mentally ask the Holy Ghost to give you wisdom, and strength… he will hear you, he will guide you, but you have to be open to his message, his force as it were…

Peace:thumbsup:

Hello-

I understand the battle against lukewarmness all too well!

If you’re mostly homebound but have computer or internet access may I suggest praying about two things:
  1. E-mail campaigns for life issues such as writing to legislators, editors, and the like.
  2. Giving encouragement. Some small sites are doing good things. Drop off a quick message of support and/or thanks for their work. Even small messages can work wonders for the confidence of the posters.
And of course, prayer!

JXM

40.png
JXM:
Hello-

I understand the battle against lukewarmness all too well!

If you’re mostly homebound but have computer or internet access may I suggest praying about two things:
  1. E-mail campaigns for life issues such as writing to legislators, editors, and the like.
  2. Giving encouragement. Some small sites are doing good things. Drop off a quick message of support and/or thanks for their work. Even small messages can work wonders for the confidence of the posters.
And of course, prayer!

JXM
Good ideas, thanks. I’m homebound until after I birth Baby because I’m supposed to stay off my feet (except for walking to and from the bathroom). I’m subscribed to One Million Moms and they usually have something for members to do every week. If you know how I can do more for preborn babies and other victims (euthanasia, etc.), please let me know. Also, if you have some examples of sites that could use encouragement, let me know those, too.

" I was on bedrest with one pregnancy and ended up hospitalized for several weeks. Talk about feeling useless! But God uses us in our weakness sometimes more than when we are strong. Offer up your sufferings for the unborn. You might prefer to be demonstrating outside an abortion clinic, but God prefers you to be elsewhere right now. I think a woman gracefull accepting a difficult pregnancy for the sake of her unborn child is one of the best ways to witness for life."

Thanks for the encouragement, gardenswithkids! I’m doing my best to stay in a good mood and pray for others. I realize that God can use me however I am. I’m wondering who to offer up the suffering of childbirth for…antilifers, preborn Baby, or abortionists. Any ideas? A few days ago I told a really good friend an insight I had about redemptive suffering. I had been offering up suffering for specific people when I realized that God probably knows people who could use it more. Now I just offer it up (when I remember) to God and let Him decide what to do with it.

By the way, I have a small collection of prayers (mostly from prayer cards) on my website. Please let me know if you have anything to add: cora.dashjr.org Joysong, I have a small section of recommended books on my site, too. It needs to be updated.

my Mother my Confidence,
Corinne

Of the many things that we can become involved with at my church is a monthly prayer letter. I have signed on to receive this, and being a new parishoner I have not yet received it. But my understanding is the church prepares this letter monthly for all those needing prayers.

Perhaps you could see if your church has similar opportunities.

=)
Kat

40.png
Fizendell:
Of the many things that we can become involved with at my church is a monthly prayer letter. I have signed on to receive this, and being a new parishoner I have not yet received it. But my understanding is the church prepares this letter monthly for all those needing prayers.

Perhaps you could see if your church has similar opportunities.

=)
Kat
I haven’t heard of that. At some Novus Ordo parishes (and maybe some traditional parishes too), the prayer intentions are listed in the weekly bulletin. I think it would be great if parishes would put things like that online so people could pray for them with or without a bulletin . . . shut-ins who can’t always attend Mass and are able to receive the Eucharist at home, etc.

my Mother my Confidence,
Corinne

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back