Film and Nudity. Where is the line on what is inherently sinful to view?

• Thread starter Thread starter cpeters
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
C

cpeters

What Constitutes Nudity as inherently sinful to view? I ask this purely for a greater understanding of the moral theology behind nudity that is considered acceptable under the right circumstances, and its difference from nudity that is unacceptable to be viewed even under the purest of intentions.

For example, the nudity portrayed in Braveheart and other movies of the sort are generally considered not to be sinful to view, because it portrays it for the purpose of the natural beauty of the body, like that of many paintings and sculptures. Yet does the intention of showing the natural beauty of the human body required for it to not be inherently sinful? Would movies and shows that portray nudity for its realism, such as stage actors changing backstage, be inherently sinful to view for its unnecessary nature and lack of purpose other than the sake of nudity itself, even if the nudity has no sexual motive?

Furthermore, how does this affect choosing to view these movies or images from them? If I were to somehow be sure that I had no sexual intention behind searching for the images of nudity in Braveheart and other movies that portray nudity in a similar manner, but rather purely chose to do so to appreciate the natural b of the body, would this act still be sinful?

In short, even under the best and most pure intentions of the viewer, what forms, portrayals, and purposes for nudity are and are not acceptable, and how does this change with the way in which they are viewed, such as watching the movie, only a particular scene, or looking up the images?

I think the line is in intention; if the purpose of a nude scene is to titillate then it’s a sin.

It’s sinful to look at a woman with lust, dressed or not. If you are not lusting, it’s not sinful except that you may be fueling a generally sinful side of the fim industry.

1. Is the nudity tempting you to sin? If so, don’t watch it.
  2. If the nudity isn’t tempting you to sin, then does it have artistic value to the film or, at the very least, is it neutral? If it seems gratuitous or is there for the main purpose of stirring up lust, then don’t watch it.

There is nothing inherently sinful about the body.

It is what the body’s owner is shown doing with it that becomes the occasion of sin.

ICXC NIKA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back