Finally starting to appreciate the TLM

• Thread starter Thread starter TBolt1000T
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
T

TBolt1000T

As I said before in other threads, I’m totally blind, and I thought that it would be impossible for me to follow a TLM, but I was wrong. I’m in the process of learning some Latin, because I’m joining the Latin Mass choir at my parish in January, so I decided this past Sunday to stick around after the Novus Ordo for the TLM. I was pleasantly surprised. I could actually follow most of it, though there are still some parts I don’t understand yet. My main problem right now is knowing when to stand, sit, neal, etc. The best part of the Mass for me was when the priest began chanting the Pater Noster, using the same exact melody as Pope John Paul II used in this YouTube video.
youtube.com/watch?v=6kmVyiuA6DY&fmt=18

There was a lot of chanting, which I also enjoyed. The serman was also one of the best I’ve ever heard. Now, I’m developing an appreciation for both the NO and the TLM, and I don’t mind staying at church for both rights.

I do have a fiew questions though. Why are the Scripture readings different for the TLM than in the NO? And, is it just me, or is the serman actually longer in the TLM?

That is the Pater Noster all of us pre-Vatican II types learned. During the dialogue Mass, the priest chanted “Pater Noster” and the congregation chanted the rest.

The scripture readings are different because there was only a one year cycle instead of today’s more expanded three year cycle. So, what you heard on the Twelfth Sunday after Pentecost one year you heard exactly the same on the next.

What was called the Twelfth Sunday after Pentecost then is now a Sunday in Ordinary Time.

There was a Kyrie, Gloria, Credo, Sanctus and Agnus Dei that accompanied that Pater Noster that the congregation chanted up till 1966 when the Mass began. My parish chants this Kyrie, Sanctus, and Agnus Dei during Lent. I know the chants are in Worship III but perhaps one of our more erudite brothers or sisters can tell us the exact mode. Benedictgal, are you reading?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back