First Friday

• Thread starter Thread starter BigVinny
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
B

BigVinny

Good Afternoon,

I hope someone can help me. I consider myself a practicing Cathlic relatively well-versed on the liturgy and traditions of the church. However, I have no understanding of First Friday.

Can someone tell me the history of this, and just what exactly happens at this mass.

I have heard rumors about if you say a certain prayer, at a certain time during the mass, your request to God has a better-than-average chance of being answered.

So…is this true? If so, how do I do it??

I honestly never paid attention to First Friday until I heard someone say something about the special prayer at the special time.

Hope I’m making sense. :confused:

This prob wont help much,

But my understanding of it is, that if one faithfully attends this mass fr 9 months in a row(it can be any normal mass on friday), one will receive the sacraments of the church before death, ie Last Rites and, I think that God in his mercy will allow a priest to be at your deathbed.

Good question, and can wait to hear the more intelligent answers.

This is a devotion to the Sacred Heart of Jesus based on promises made to St. Margaret Mary Alacoque.

I am not real sure however I made a promise this year meaning Sept thru June that I would go to mass on First Fridays with my daughters school which is just a mile from where I work. I missed Sept because of school starting, however I will go thru July. I also know that it is a devoution to the Sacred Heart of Jesus and all I want from it is more love in my heart because that is something I believe is missing in today’s world. If something else comes of it that would be wonderful too.

God Bless
Kathleen

Thank you Madia for the EWTN link. That gives me a good background on it. This is very interesting, and I may try to do this starting in October.

The only think I’m still unsure of is the claim that if you make a request at a certain time during the mass, God will answer you.

It sounds a little like a “7 wishes” thing to me, so there may be no truth in it.

But this is all very interesting. If anyone finds out anything else I would be very grateful.

40.png
BigVinny:
Thank you Madia for the EWTN link. That gives me a good background on it. This is very interesting, and I may try to do this starting in October.

The only think I’m still unsure of is the claim that if you make a request at a certain time during the mass, God will answer you.

It sounds a little like a “7 wishes” thing to me, so there may be no truth in it.

But this is all very interesting. If anyone finds out anything else I would be very grateful.
Hm. Vincent, I would just leave it with the promises to Margaret Mary Alacoque and forget about the certain-prayer-at-a-certain-time thing. I agree: sounds fishy. Why don’t you ask whomever told you that where they heard it?

I’m glad you asked because I have always wanted to know more about First Fridays too. I also occassionally hear about First Saturdays. Is that similar to First Fridays?

This doesn’t seem to be one of the promises associated with the First Friday devotion. Of course, it doesn’t hurt to ask God before/after Mass or during Adoration for a particular favor (like finding your true vocation).

Put it alongside superstions like this:
ewtn.com/vexperts/showresult.asp?RecNum=447884&Forums=0&Experts=0&Days=30&Author=&Keyword=pew&pgnu=1&groupnum=0&record_bookmark=4&ORDER_BY_TXT=ORDER+BY+ReplyDate+DESC&start_at=
I also occassionally hear about First Saturdays.
The First Saturday Devotion is the the Immaculate Heart of Mary:
dailycatholic.org/firstsat.htm

The First Friday Devotion is to the Sacred Heart of Jesus. I recommend both depending on your schedule. Also, please read this post to see what the Two Hearts symbolize:
ewtn.com/vexperts/showresult.asp?RecNum=370642&Forums=0&Experts=0&Days=2003&Author=&Keyword=Immaculate+Heart&pgnu=1&groupnum=0&record_bookmark=13&ORDER_BY_TXT=ORDER+BY+ReplyDate+DESC&start_at=

40.png
mercygate:
Hm. Vincent, I would just leave it with the promises to Margaret Mary Alacoque and forget about the certain-prayer-at-a-certain-time thing. I agree: sounds fishy. Why don’t you ask whomever told you that where they heard it?
Sounds like good advice to me. My wife says she read it online somewhere but doesn’t remember where. There’s no telling, you never know what someone may be putting on their site.

It all sounded too funky to me too. If you’re in the presence of God everytime you’re at Mass, why would a request made in the middle of the service be more likely to be answered than a request some other time?

Thank you all for the (name removed by moderator)ut.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back