First Fridays and First Saturdays

• Thread starter Thread starter Ainchel
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Ainchel

Most Catholic calendars make special notation of First Fridays and First Saturdays. However, I have forgotten what the specific practices that go with those days are, as well as the history and the promises that are behind these Catholic traditions/devotions.

I would love to know more about them, and to hear any special stories from those who have a particular devotion to them. How have these practices blessed your life of the life or someone dear to you?

40.png
Ainchel:
Most Catholic calendars make special notation of First Fridays and First Saturdays. However, I have forgotten what the specific practices that go with those days are, as well as the history and the promises that are behind these Catholic traditions/devotions.

I would love to know more about them, and to hear any special stories from those who have a particular devotion to them. How have these practices blessed your life of the life or someone dear to you?
First Friday is in honor of the Sacred Heart of Jesus. Many parishes have Eucharistic Adoration and a Mass for this purpose. This devotion to His Sacred Heart was revealed to Saint Margarent Mary Alocoque when our Lord appeared to her. First Saturday is in honor of the Blessed Virgin Mary. Our Mother has asked that we go to Mass, receive Communion, recite 5 decades of the Rosary and go to Confession.

+JMJ+

The devotion of receiving Holy Communion nine consecutive First Fridays in reparation for the sacrileges against the Sacred Heart of Jesus came from apparitions of Our Lord to Saint Margaret Mary Alacoque. Some of the graces promised those who devoutly practice this devotion include “final perseverance in the catholic faith, reception of the lasr sacraments and death in the state of grace, consolation of the love of Christ’s Sacred Heart at the time of death.” [Our Sunday Visitor’s Catholic Encyclopedia, ©1991] Many parishes Eucharistic Adoration hours associated with First Fridays.

First Saturday (5 consecutive first Saturdays) devotion can be traced back to Saint John Eudes in the 1600’s. The conditions of this devotion are 1) to receive Holy Communion, 2) Sacrament of Penance within an octave of receiving the Communion in No. 1 , 3) recite 5 decades of the Rosary, and 4) spend 15 minutes mediating on these Mysteries before the Blessed Sacrament. it was not until Datima (1917) that this devotion has gained momentum as Our Lady reiterated that this devotion be practiced. To all who devoutly observe this devotion, Our Lady has promised final perseverance in death.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back