First Fridays, Scapulars, etc

  • Thread starter Thread starter tizzidale
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
T

tizzidale

Guest
I’ve heard about the promises of salvation for those who participate in nine first Friday masses, and for those who where certain religious items (i.e. scapulars), but is it an actual promose of salvation? a guarantee? I mean, if it were, wouldn’t ALL Catholics do these things?

rusty
 
You didn’t specify whether you wanted an answer from Catholics only or from anyone. I’m a Protestant and I believe what the Bible says which is “believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and thou shalt be saved.” There’s nothing about nine Friday masses or wearing scapulars to be saved. These things you speak of can’t save anyone according to Scripture. That’s not the gospel. It’s Christ’s dying for our sins and rising from the dead and our putting our faith in Him that saves. But this is from a Protestant Christian perspective and if you want the Catholic view, surely they’ll step in to let you know their position.
 
I am a Catholic and I tell you that only God’s grace would saves your soul. Without the cross we can’t be saved.

However, the Mass, scapulars, or anything else, are supports for your faith. The imitation of Christ first and the imitation of those who imitated Christ, secondly.

Please read Saint Augustine about God’s grace.
 
I would prefer answers from Roman Catholics only, please. Specifically, I would like to learn more about the promises given to those who perform such acts as the First Fridays and wearing certain items. I know that most of these things were given as Private Revelation, so they are not binding. I am however bothered a bit them.
 
Thanks, I only replied because you didn’t specify you wanted Catholic only replies. My apologies.
 
Think of things like Scapulars and other devotions as being similar to marriage. A couple say on their wedding day that they will stay together ‘until death do us part’, and they exchange rings, which they wear presumably for the duration of the marriage. Then they do other things as well to reaffirm that marriage bond - live together, give each other gifts, have children together, say ‘I love you’ a lot, etc etc.

The promises and the ring and all the other actions don’t of themselves guarantee that the marriage will last, or succeed. Nor do they actually make the marriage. It works the reverse way. FIRST comes the desire of the two people to spend their lives with each other and make the marriage committment.

The promises are their way of publicly affirming this desire to committ, the rings and all the rest are their way of reminding themselves and each other of their committment, and showing it to everyone else as well. All of this taken together is what forms the marriage and makes it work and succeed.

So with Scapulars, First Fridays etc. FIRST comes the love of Jesus and Mary for us and their desire to seek and facilitate as much as possible the salvation of all souls. THEN come their promises, which are open to all those who love them and are devoted to them.

THEN comes the pre-existing love and commitment and trust of those who choose to accept those promises. When these people then do the devotion or wear the Scapular they have the constant visible reminder and reaffirmation of their commitment. All this together makes them so much more disposed to being saved.

The material that comes with each Brown Scapular (they each come with a little leaflet) starts off by stating that it is not a magic charm, nor does it of itself guarantee salvation. The fact is by agreeing to wear it one is making promises in regards to their prayer life, to living chastely according to their single or married state in life, and other things.

It is the fulfilment of these conditions and the work put in by the wearer that makes them more disposed and more receptive to the graces of God that lead to salvation, not the mere wearing of the bit of cloth.

Likewise with the First Friday devotions. These require attendance at Mass and reception of Communion on the First Fridays of NINE consecutive months. For most people this will require sacramental confession at least once in each of these months.

This is quite a lengthy committment - nine solid months! One starts off with quite a high level of devotion and commitment to even begin, and to go through with it can’t help but increase this fantastically.

So the promises aren’t just promises out of thin air - remember they’re contingent on certain action on behalf of those seeking to take advantage of them. The action in itself predisposes people to a beneficial outcome spiritually.
 
I go to first Friday’s and wear scapular and have other devotions but mostly I offer the masses and devotions for the holy souls in purgatory, conversion of sinner, and for those others to realize Catholic is the truth church.

Doing this helps me grow spiritually, and you may already know when you grow spirtiually, you come to love God more and learn to do His Will - that will please God.

However, doing all these devotions without Love, I am sure God will be displeased. In other words, having attend 9 consecutive first Friday’s does not give you any guarantee that you will be in Heaven.

God wants you to have Faith and Works. Faith alone won’t help.
 
The Brown Scapular of Our Lady of Mt. Carmel is favored by the Catholic Church and represents a special consecration to Our Heavenly Mother under this title.

People wear the Brown Scapular devotedly and faithfully and there is a promise attached: “Those who die wearing this Scapular shall not suffer eternal fire.”

Does this mean we just have to wear the scapular with no faith? No. The Scapular is a sacramental that helps strengthen your christian life. And does it ever! By wearing my Scapular, I feel more eager to attend daily Mass and pray the Rosary. I am constantly reminded of Christ. As Catholics we preservere in faith hope and love required for salvation.
:gopray2:
 
Ave Maria!

When I learned of the First Friday devotion, I was new in my reconversion. One of the promises to St. Margaret Mary was that a tepid soul shall become fervant. And I knew I was lukewarm and I did not want to stay that way. The first time I attempted the Fridays, I forgot on the 7th month and began again. Over the course of doing this, I became a daily communicant and still am, over a decade later 🙂

And I wear the scapular and have since I made my Marian consecration to Jesus through Mary also 10 years ago. It is my little ‘livery’ of Our Lady’s army. It reminds to whom I belong.

This is not an object of superstition. But it is a sacramental and a holy and blessed item. I plan to wear it for the rest of my life. I also wear a Franciscan cord as I am a member of the Third Order.

The practice of the 9 First Fridays and other holy devotional acts also entail a true living of the faith. It means staying in a state of grace and living a true Catholic life doing what the Church and the Commandments ask of us.

Our Lord kept His promise to me and I am no longer a tepid soul. Deo Gratias!
 
I didnt want to start a new thread but where do you get Scapular’s? I have never seen one and I have looked online (obviously not very well).

Sorry I couldnt add anything to the discussion.
 
I didnt want to start a new thread but where do you get Scapular’s? I have never seen one and I have looked online (obviously not very well).

Sorry I couldnt add anything to the discussion.
just do a search for ‘buy brown scapular’

One site you can get them from is here
 
Yes, I have ordered through Rose Scapular in the past and they are high quality scapulars. Most Catholic goods stores will carry them as well. Get the regular wool kind, not the plastic or the little medal. One is ‘vested’ in the scapular by a priest with special prayers. The first scapular is then blessed but replacement ones do not need to be blessed (I do anyway though). When the cords break as I wear my scapular 24/7. I replace it with a slim leather cord which is what I have on mine now.

Ave Maria!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top