Fivefold Scapular Question

  • Thread starter Thread starter SanctusDeus
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

SanctusDeus

Guest
Hello.

I got a Fivefold scapular and went to a priest to have him invest me using the formula they gave me with the scapular. He blessed the scapular for me and read the formula, but he stopped halfway through and I just didn’t have the heart to interrupt him. Am I still receiving the graces that I would get from wearing all five scapulars even though the priest stopped halfway through? I was already invested in the brown scapular when I was in 2nd grade, and I read that if you’re already invested in the brown scapular, that you just have to have all following scapulars blessed to receive the graces attributed to them, but I don’t know if this applies to the Fivefold scapular as well. I hope I explained everything well enough.

Thank you!
 
Yes it is necessary to have all 5 scapulars blessed individually. Since each of the confraternities have different rites of investment, one blessing does not cover all five. Sorry, you’ll have to go back to the priest and have him do it correctly. If he is not willing, then find a priest who is. It’s just a matter of reading the investment rites, agreeing to commit yourself to the privileges each confraternity bestows, mostly joining in the prayers along with each community e.g. the Seven Sorrows of Mary chaplet for the Servites, reading the lives of the saints like St. John of the Cross and Teresa of Avila for the Carmelites, or meditating on the Passion of Our Lord 15 minutes a day for the Red scapular (The Archconfraternity of the Holy Agony of Jesus), the Trinitarians (white) ask that you observe their feasts to gain the necessary indulgences and the Scapular of the Immaculate Heart of Mary or the blue scapular requests either the Chaplet of the Immaculate conception or the Divine Mercy chaplet to be recited. All these are to be done on a DAILY basis (with the exception of the Trinitarians, apparently).

A tall order? Sure, but Catholicism isn’t a religion for wimps. And don’t forget to bring a scapular medal with you to have blessed. It is permissible to wear the medal in place of the scapular when showering, swimming, etc.
 
Yes it is necessary to have all 5 scapulars blessed individually. Since each of the confraternities have different rites of investment, one blessing does not cover all five. Sorry, you’ll have to go back to the priest and have him do it correctly. If he is not willing, then find a priest who is. It’s just a matter of reading the investment rites, agreeing to commit yourself to the privileges each confraternity bestows, mostly joining in the prayers along with each community e.g. the Seven Sorrows of Mary chaplet for the Servites, reading the lives of the saints like St. John of the Cross and Teresa of Avila for the Carmelites, or meditating on the Passion of Our Lord 15 minutes a day for the Red scapular (The Archconfraternity of the Holy Agony of Jesus), the Trinitarians (white) ask that you observe their feasts to gain the necessary indulgences and the Scapular of the Immaculate Heart of Mary or the blue scapular requests either the Chaplet of the Immaculate conception or the Divine Mercy chaplet to be recited. All these are to be done on a DAILY basis (with the exception of the Trinitarians, apparently).

A tall order? Sure, but Catholicism isn’t a religion for wimps. And don’t forget to bring a scapular medal with you to have blessed. It is permissible to wear the medal in place of the scapular when showering, swimming, etc.
Thank you so much for your help. I already made an appoint to see a priest Friday. Thanks again!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top