Flake Control?

• Thread starter Thread starter Darrel
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Darrel

My question is one I have considered for years. I have been at every level from fallen to luke warm to ultra fundamentalist protestant. I have sought answers in prayer regarding extremism.

My question is a matter of asking what is the priority, being rational or being extreme in faith (totally) and at what point should a believer draw the line. I feel that if a person is a total fanatic in there faith they loose there literal rational stability and become a total flake. (not always and not everyone)

I also have learned that it is very possible to walk in this life in a holy manor while being totally rational. In meeting Catholic priests over the years they usually seem to be a picture mental competence and quite intelligent. Some fundamentalist I have known will make me feel like I have just stepped into the twilight zone after about 3 sentences come out of there mouth. I went to adoration recently and was practically accosted by some guy as I exited who seemed like a Catholic version of a fundamentalist.

Does the Church teach anything to people to about how important it is to be rational and to portray yourself as a Catholic in a manor that will bring credibility to the Church? If you really think about it fanaticism is what brings about things like branch dividian compounds and causes people to fly commercial aircraft into buildings. I seem to recall a verse from Paul saying do not speak in tongues in the church because if somebody walks in off the street they will think you are mad. Yet this is done all the time in fundamentalist churches. So where does everyone draw the line? I think it is very important to portray ourselves in a manor that screams normal. That is not to say I will use this to justify a single sin. How can one be all things to all people if they are acting out some wackadoodle extremism? Maybe another question is to ask if God wants us to have him our lives as a “theme” or does he wish us to be real?

-D

Both faith and reason are gifts from God. Coth contribute to our understanding of Truth. Both contribute to our growing in knowledge of God. They are not incompatible.

According to paragraph 1834 of the Catechism:
“The human virtues are stable dispositions of the intellect and the will that govern our acts, order our passions, and guide our conduct in accordance with reason and faith.”
I’m sure there are other references to the importance of both gifts, but this was the first I found.

Elizabeth B.:
Both faith and reason are gifts from God. Coth contribute to our understanding of Truth. Both contribute to our growing in knowledge of God. They are not incompatible.

According to paragraph 1834 of the Catechism:

I’m sure there are other references to the importance of both gifts, but this was the first I found.
Thank You,

This is most encouraging; it’s nice to see that reason is a gift that is compatible with faith. I see no truth in people running around embracing some alternate reality. I suppose that for some people it is part of there road in faith to become extreme. But I wonder about ultra radical Christian groups being deceived into a sort strange reality that is like a drug that just keeps spreading on and on. I have to wonder if this sort of thing is how God intended his children to be in following him. Then again with 8 trillion protestant churches to choose from embracing everything from playing with rattle snakes to forbidding pork chops it’s no surprise.

-D

40.png
Darrel:
Thank You,

This is most encouraging; it’s nice to see that reason is a gift that is compatible with faith. I see no truth in people running around embracing some alternate reality. I suppose that for some people it is part of there road in faith to become extreme. But I wonder about ultra radical Christian groups being deceived into a sort strange reality that is like a drug that just keeps spreading on and on. I have to wonder if this sort of thing is how God intended his children to be in following him. Then again with 8 trillion protestant churches to choose from embracing everything from playing with rattle snakes to forbidding pork chops it’s no surprise.

-D

40.png
Darrel:
My question is one I have considered for years. I have been at every level from fallen to luke warm to ultra fundamentalist protestant. I have sought answers in prayer regarding extremism.

My question is a matter of asking what is the priority, being rational or being extreme in faith (totally) and at what point should a believer draw the line. I feel that if a person is a total fanatic in there faith they loose there literal rational stability and become a total flake. (not always and not everyone)

I also have learned that it is very possible to walk in this life in a holy manor while being totally rational. In meeting Catholic priests over the years they usually seem to be a picture mental competence and quite intelligent. Some fundamentalist I have known will make me feel like I have just stepped into the twilight zone after about 3 sentences come out of there mouth. I went to adoration recently and was practically accosted by some guy as I exited who seemed like a Catholic version of a fundamentalist.

Does the Church teach anything to people to about how important it is to be rational and to portray yourself as a Catholic in a manor that will bring credibility to the Church? If you really think about it fanaticism is what brings about things like branch dividian compounds and causes people to fly commercial aircraft into buildings. I seem to recall a verse from Paul saying do not speak in tongues in the church because if somebody walks in off the street they will think you are mad. Yet this is done all the time in fundamentalist churches. So where does everyone draw the line? I think it is very important to portray ourselves in a manor that screams normal. That is not to say I will use this to justify a single sin. How can one be all things to all people if they are acting out some wackadoodle extremism? Maybe another question is to ask if God wants us to have him our lives as a “theme” or does he wish us to be real?

-D
I remember attending a fundamentalist church where one of the associate pastors laid hands on me and prayed to deliver me from a “spirit of intelligence!” I guess it was because I couldn’t blend in with their extremism. I’m thankful that God finally led me out of that mess and into His Church.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back