"For thine is the kingdom, the power, and the glory, for ever and ever"

• Thread starter Thread starter RichSpidizzy
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
R

RichSpidizzy

I know this isn’t part of the original Lord’s Prayer, but somewhere along the lines it snuck into some translation of the Biblee.

Anybody have the details of when/how/where that got added to the end of the Lord’s Prayer?

40.png
RichSpidizzy:
I know this isn’t part of the original Lord’s Prayer, but somewhere along the lines it snuck into some translation of the Biblee.

Anybody have the details of when/how/where that got added to the end of the Lord’s Prayer?
It is a doxology and Eastern Christians have been using it for many, many (many, many, many) centuries!

If you were to attend a Byzantine Catholic or Greek Orthodox Divine Liturgy you would notice it. However it is recited by the priest after the congregation recites the Lord’s Prayer. It is not recited by the congregation as I have witnessed in Latin rite churches.

Years ago I read the claim that it was a Protestant introduction that was adopted at the suggestion of the Protestant observers at Vatican II. Don’t believe it. If V-II had anything to do with it’s insertion into the liturgy I would point to a possible suggestion from the Eastern Catholic hierarchs in attendance at the Council.

I have read that it is found in the Didache. In any case, it is indeed a very ancient ending.
I am fascinated to learn that it has been in constant use in the Eastern Churches…I have always loved it! I feel like I am taking my hands off, & putting everything into His Hands, when I pray it.
God bless.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back