S
spangler1982
Guest
I saw this written in the bulletin of my parent’s parish, and I’d like some help from you guys in critiquing it:
How much did Jesus Really Know About His Cross?
The “Suffering Servant” song (Isaiah 50:4-9) portrays the protagonist as a human being just like you and me. He does not know the outcome ahead of time, or his confidence would be in himself to pull it off; but he puts all his trust in Another: a “vindicator” who will “come to his help” (Isaiah 50:7, 9). This is Jesus’ cry from the cross, “Into your hands I entrust my spirit” (Luke 23:46). We have done the believing community a mammoth dissergvice by so emphasizing Jesus’ divinity that his humanity was all but canceled out. Most Christians naively assume that Jesus did not really have to live faith or darkness as we do, that he knew everything from his youngest years. Yet Luke says “he grew in wisdom” (Luke 2:40). We cannot believe that his was a totally different brand of knowing than the rest of humanity. He was not just pretending to be human. Many scholars believe that it was only at the resurrection that Jesus’ human mind and divine consciouness became one. Until then, he “was like us in all ways, except sin” (Hebrews 4:15). Knowing this, you are much better prepared to walk through the sacred days ahead with a Jesus who shares, suffers, and trusts God exactly as you and I must learn to do. “He set his face like flint, trusting he would not be put to shame” (Isaiah 50:7). - Fr. Richard Rohr, written on retreat, Lent 2010
yes, I know all about Fr. Rohr’s dissenting teachings and actions that’s he’s been involved with throughout the years (Enneagram, blessing of same-sex unions, etc.), and I don’t want this tread to turn into a long discussion about that. Rather, I want this thread to be about just a critique of the passage I posted itself, so I can show it to my parents. Thanks guys!
How much did Jesus Really Know About His Cross?
The “Suffering Servant” song (Isaiah 50:4-9) portrays the protagonist as a human being just like you and me. He does not know the outcome ahead of time, or his confidence would be in himself to pull it off; but he puts all his trust in Another: a “vindicator” who will “come to his help” (Isaiah 50:7, 9). This is Jesus’ cry from the cross, “Into your hands I entrust my spirit” (Luke 23:46). We have done the believing community a mammoth dissergvice by so emphasizing Jesus’ divinity that his humanity was all but canceled out. Most Christians naively assume that Jesus did not really have to live faith or darkness as we do, that he knew everything from his youngest years. Yet Luke says “he grew in wisdom” (Luke 2:40). We cannot believe that his was a totally different brand of knowing than the rest of humanity. He was not just pretending to be human. Many scholars believe that it was only at the resurrection that Jesus’ human mind and divine consciouness became one. Until then, he “was like us in all ways, except sin” (Hebrews 4:15). Knowing this, you are much better prepared to walk through the sacred days ahead with a Jesus who shares, suffers, and trusts God exactly as you and I must learn to do. “He set his face like flint, trusting he would not be put to shame” (Isaiah 50:7). - Fr. Richard Rohr, written on retreat, Lent 2010
yes, I know all about Fr. Rohr’s dissenting teachings and actions that’s he’s been involved with throughout the years (Enneagram, blessing of same-sex unions, etc.), and I don’t want this tread to turn into a long discussion about that. Rather, I want this thread to be about just a critique of the passage I posted itself, so I can show it to my parents. Thanks guys!