Franciscan Religious Orders

• Thread starter Thread starter Aureole
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Aureole

A friend of mine told me about a Franciscan religious order today and said that I should look into it. Unfortunately she could only give me the abbreviation for the name. Usually the abbreviation would be enough to find it online, but not this one. I haven’t been able to look into it yet, but I would like to, thus I’ve come here for help.

So, does anyone know of any Franciscan orders that go by O.F.P.? If so, could you provide a link or give me the unabbreviated name? Thank you.

As computerguy pointed out, OFP is a Dominican abbreviation. Here’s there webpage: op.org/

OFM is a Fransiscan order. Here’s their homepage: ofm.org/

But I can’t find any Fransiscan group with OFP.

40.png
edward_george:
Looking at the list of Religious Order Abbreviations at fisheaters.com/religiousorderabbreviations.html I don’t seem to see an O.F.P.

-ACEGC
I’ve checked various places as well and haven’t come up with anything. Thanks for the site, I didn’t know about it.
40.png
Forest-Pine:
As computerguy pointed out, OFP is a Dominican abbreviation. Here’s there webpage: op.org/

OFM is a Fransiscan order. Here’s their homepage: ofm.org/

But I can’t find any Fransiscan group with OFP.
The Dominicans abbreviation is simply O.P., not O.F.P. I thought it was them at first as well, but it couldn’t be. Not unless there was a mistake in communication somewhere along the line (It went through two other people before me, I’m attempting to get to the bottom of it). The person who told me was adamant that the order was Franciscan so we have at least that to go by. But no Franciscan order, at least that I know of, is close to O.F.P. This is becoming more and more puzzling. I’ll be sure to share whatever order it is when I find out, I’m certain that others will be bothered by this at least somewhat.

Perhaps it was the confraternity of Penitents at www.www.penitents.org

The site does not have any names with the following initials, so I do not know if they would go by OFP, but they are a fransiscan order which ofp would make sense.

Hope it helps.

B

40.png
BJRumph:

The site does not have any names with the following initials, so I do not know if they would go by OFP, but they are a fransiscan order which ofp would make sense.

Hope it helps.

B
Thank you, I’m not sure it’s them but I’ll ask about it. Apparently the confraternity isn’t associated with any one religious order, though it does seem a likely choice. I’ll look into it.

Mother Angelica was francuscan,but I do not think her new order of nuns are. Check her out!

40.png
BJRumph:

Hope it helps.

B
Nope. OFP isn’t the Confraternity of Penitents. We go by CFP.

There is an old joke: There are only two things God dosn’t know.1)What is on a Jesuits mind and… 2) How many Fransican orders there are :rolleyes: I have not heard of OFP either!

I managed to clear up the mystery! The order does exist but the abbreviation was switched up on us. I was told O.F.P., but the order is actually known as F.P.O. or the Franciscans of Primitive Observance. Apparently they’re a more recent branching off of the Friars Minor. I still haven’t been able to find much information on them though…

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back