Friends Vs. Religion and What To Do About It

• Thread starter Thread starter Karynna_Raye
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
K

Karynna_Raye

I’ve recently felt that I should rediscover the Catholic faith. To put a long story short, I became a member of Wicca, and have now arrived at a place where I know what I’ve been doing is wrong, and am working on becoming a better Catholic. However, my friends remain Pagan, and although they know nothing about my returning to Catholocism ( I haven’t quite braved that hurdle yet, altough I make it a point not to talk about or practice any type of Paganism with them), they seem to believe that to be Christian is synonymous with being “conformist”. If I were to tell them about my decision…Well, I think they would look at me as someone who’s just bent to someone else’s will rather than having made a personal choice on my own. I know that friends aren’t the ones who should dictate to you what you should believe, nor am I condoning that belief, I’m merely afraid that they will lose respect for me and no longer see me as they used to.I find it really hard to be around them and not want to go along with what they’re saying and doing just to keep their approval…They’ve been great friends otherwise, and I don’t want to lose them over something so trivial as prejudice toward religion. What makes me feel the worst is that I was the one who started this all, I was the one to first capture their interest in Paganism, and only now do I realize what a dangerous trap I’ve pulled them into. And now that I’m moving towards a better faith in the Catholic Church, I realize what I’ve done. If there is any advice you could provide me…any at all, I would greatly appreciate it.
Love Always and From,
Karynna Raye

40.png
Karynna_Raye:
… they seem to believe that to be Christian is synonymous with being “conformist”… and I don’t want to lose them over something so trivial as prejudice toward religion. What makes me feel the worst is that I was the one who started this all, I was the one to first capture their interest in Paganism, and only now do I realize what a dangerous trap I’ve pulled them into. And now that I’m moving towards a better faith in the Catholic Church, I realize what I’ve done. If there is any advice you could provide me…any at all, I would greatly appreciate it.
Love Always and From,
Karynna Raye
Karynna,

It sounds like you feel pressure to conform with them - if you don’t change because of them, that is conforming.

Nothing about prejudice toward religion is trivial. I think it is the one thing that has caused the most wars, massacres and genocide.

If you led them into paganism, you can lead them to the truth you are now finding in the Catholic Church. Oh how wonderful and rewarding would that be!?!? You can do it! I’ll be praying for you.

Nobody

Congratulations for coming back to the truth. Live out your faith every day and don’t be ashamed of it. You don’t have to evangelize to them because that would probably turn them away. When they see that you’re genuinely happy and joyful in your life, that will get them thinking about what it is that is having that wonderful effect on you. At first, they may ignore it or even ridicule it but after awhile I’d be willing to bet that they’ll start asking you sincere questions about your faith. You may be surprised at the positive effect you can have on them and the possible impetus for their own conversion to Christ. You also may want to expand some of your friendships to other people who share your faith (without, of course, necessarily abandoning your old friends). My prayers are with you.

the first thing i’d like to point out is that your relationship with Christ through the Church is much more important than your friendship with these folks. if it comes to a decision, which it might, you should probably determine in your mind now which you will choose.

that said, i would suggest that you try to find ways to share your new experience with them in ways that they will find interesting and ‘nonconformist’. going on retreats, doing fasts, etc are kind of edgy, and they might find it interesting. just ‘going to mass’ and ‘doing what you’re told’ they will find boring and ‘old’. but if they see the excitement and joy that your newfound faith brings you, it might spark the same excitement in them.

above all, pray for them, and for the strength to remain strong through it all. whether they come along with you or not, the move into the truth is not an easy one. it’s not called the narrow road, or carrying your cross, for nothing. 🙂

God bless you as you seek His face.

Pagans, unlike non-Catholic Christians, are usually not swayed by reading out Bible verse after bible verse and commentaries in their faces. The best way to handle the situation is to simply serve as a good example of authentic Christian living to your friends. With the passage of time they would, through you, little by little come to appreciate and love the genuiness and truth of the Christian faith.

Gerry 🙂

40.png
Karynna_Raye:
…They’ve been great friends otherwise, and I don’t want to lose them over something so trivial as prejudice toward religion. What makes me feel the worst is that I was the one who started this all, I was the one to first capture their interest in Paganism, and only now do I realize what a dangerous trap I’ve pulled them into. And now that I’m moving towards a better faith in the Catholic Church, I realize what I’ve done. If there is any advice you could provide me…any at all, I would greatly appreciate it.
Love Always and From,
Karynna Raye
Congratulations on your return, what is wrong with conforming to God’s will? If they can’t accept you as a Catholic you don’t need them as friends. No type of prejudice is trivial. If you led them to Wicca what makes you think God will not give you the Grace to lead them to Him? Pray for them and trust in God.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back