From Prayer Book to Missal

• Thread starter Thread starter philangcatholic
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
P

philangcatholic

In my journey to Catholicism I have stopped many times. From the Episcopal church, to Anglo-Catholicism, and finally, recently I have decided to convert to the Roman Catholic Church.

Daily devotions to God are very important to me. The Book of Common Prayer offered a liturgical calendar throughout the year with Scripture readings and Collects planned out for each day and appropriate readings for Feast days and Holy Days. This is something that I loved about the Book of Common Prayer and is something that I will miss greatly about Anglicanism.

When I do convert I plan to worship at the traditional Tridnetine Mass. This is the closest to the Anglo-Catholic Masses that I used to attend and I prefer tradition to the modern Vatican II Mass. I don’t doubt at all in the validity of the Vatican II Mass I just prefer a more traditional worship.

But, in daily devotions what would be best for me? I’ve looked at Tridentine Missals and these seem to be what I’m looking for. Is it? I’m looking for a book that has planned readings and Collects for each day of the liturgical year. Would the Tridentine Missal be appropiate?

I use the one-volume CHRISTIAN PRAYER. There’s also a 4-volume LITURGY OF THE HOURS you can get if you prefer. There are psalms, canticles, readings and prayers for every day of the year in there.

40.png
philangcatholic:
In But, in daily devotions what would be best for me? I’ve looked at Tridentine Missals and these seem to be what I’m looking for. Is it? I’m looking for a book that has planned readings and Collects for each day of the liturgical year. Would the Tridentine Missal be appropiate?
since you seem determined to reject the revised 3-year lectionary cylce of the Catholic Church, as long as the Tridentine Mass you are attending is offered with the permission of the bishop, of course that is the missal you should be using, and has what you are looking for. You may also prefer, for private use, the version of the LOTH approved for England, since it has the better psalm translations than what we are forced to use here in the US. You can also, if you prefer for private use, get a hold of the old Latin breviary.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back