Funeral Psalm

• Thread starter Thread starter mark_a
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

mark_a

I am trying to find a psalm sung at my Dad’s funeral. It is a simple, minor key type of melody. I hear the melody (no vocals)sometimes on Catholic radio. I am not sure if it a funeral “standard” or not. I know this is very vague, but I don’t remember the words.

By the way, for all those who miss the Latin hymns, I would like to recommend Beth Nielsen Chapman’s “Hymns”. The voice and harmonies are perfect and are not overpowered by the accompanyment.

Can you give us a little something to go on? Maybe we can then help you figure it out.

It might be Psalm 98 “All the ends of the Earth”, but I wouldn’t be positive until I heard the melody or saw the music.

‘All the Ends of the Earth’ isn’t a funeral psalm. The one that is sung a lot is ‘Shepherd Me oh God’.

You might want to ask the church were your father’s funeral was at to give you their list of funeral psalms. Every church has their list of psalms that they sing. It makes it simple for the musicians. Asking them would narrow it down for you.

Catholic Radio very often plays an instrumental version of the beautiful 23rd Psalm called Shepherd Me, O God set to music by Marty Haugen. Here is the refrain:

Shepherd me, O God, beyond my wants, beyond my needs
From death into life

I sang it for both of my parents’ funerals.

'thann

40.png
thann:
Catholic Radio very often plays an instrumental version of the beautiful 23rd Psalm called Shepherd Me, O God set to music by Marty Haugen. Here is the refrain:

Shepherd me, O God, beyond my wants, beyond my needs
From death into life

I sang it for both of my parents’ funerals.

'thann
robin Kochis has this on one of their CDs called Shepherd Me O God, most songs on it are psalm settings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back