Gabriel the Archangel

• Thread starter Thread starter Bryan
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Bryan

A thread about the Archangel Micheal has been going well and made me want to start this one. I really like the Archangel Gabriel, the “Strength of God” and his loyal messenger who gave messages to Mary and her cousin, Elisabeth. Communication is a joyous thing, and as a Graduate Student of Communications, Gabriel embodies a truth for me, a spread of the word of God.

I was wonder though whether or not it says in the Bible what class of angel he was. I know it was Archangel, but besides that…Seraph? Anyway, below is a number of passages in which the Archangel Gabriel is seen/heard. As far as I know, he is in no other place in the Bible. Tell me if I’m wrong…

*(Daniel 8:16-26)
And I heard a man’s voice between the banks of Ulai, which called, and said, Gabriel, make this man to understand the vision. So he came near where I stood: and when he came, I was afraid, and fell upon my face: but he said unto me, Understand, O son of man: for at the time of the end shall be the vision. Now as he was speaking with me, I was in a deep sleep on my face toward the ground: but he touched me, and set me upright. And he said, Behold, I will make thee know what shall be in the last end of the indignation: for at the time appointed the end shall be. The ram which thou sawest having two horns are the kings of Media and Persia. And the rough goat is the king of Grecia: and the great horn that is between his eyes is the first king. Now that being broken, whereas four stood up for it, four kingdoms shall stand up out of the nation, but not in his power. And in the latter time of their kingdom, when the transgressors are come to the full, a king of fierce countenance, and understanding dark sentences, shall stand up. And his power shall be mighty, but not by his own power: and he shall destroy wonderfully, and shall prosper, and practise, and shall destroy the mighty and the holy people. And through his policy also he shall cause craft to prosper in his hand; and he shall magnify himself in his heart, and by peace shall destroy many: he shall also stand up against the Prince of princes; but he shall be broken without hand. And the vision of the evening and the morning which was told is true: wherefore shut thou up the vision; for it shall be for many days.

(Daniel 9:21)
Yea, whiles I was speaking in prayer, even the man Gabriel, whom I had seen in the vision at the beginning, being caused to fly swiftly, touched me about the time of the evening oblation.

(Luke 1:11-20)
And there appeared unto him an angel of the Lord standing on the right side of the altar of incense. And when Zacharias saw him, he was troubled, and fear fell upon him. But the angel said unto him, Fear not, Zacharias: for thy prayer is heard; and thy wife Elisabeth shall bear thee a son, and thou shalt call his name John. And thou shalt have joy and gladness; and many shall rejoice at his birth. For he shall be great in the sight of the Lord, and shall drink neither wine nor strong drink; and he shall be filled with the Holy Ghost, even from his mother’s womb. And many of the children of Israel shall he turn to the Lord their God. And he shall go before him in the spirit and power of Elias, to turn the hearts of the fathers to the children, and the disobedient to the wisdom of the just; to make ready a people prepared for the Lord. And Zacharias said unto the angel, Whereby shall I know this? for I am an old man, and my wife well stricken in years. And the angel answering said unto him, I am Gabriel, that stand in the presence of God; and am sent to speak unto thee, and to shew thee these glad tidings. And, behold, thou shalt be dumb, and not able to speak, until the day that these things shall be performed, because thou believest not my words, which shall be fulfilled in their season.

(Luke 1:25-38)

Thus hath the Lord dealt with me in the days wherein he looked on me, to take away my reproach among men. And in the sixth month the angel Gabriel was sent from God unto a city of Galilee, named Nazareth, To a virgin espoused to a man whose name was Joseph, of the house of David; and the virgin’s name was Mary. And the angel came in unto her, and said, Hail, thou that art highly favoured, the Lord is with thee: blessed art thou among women. And when she saw him, she was troubled at his saying, and cast in her mind what manner of salutation this should be. And the angel said unto her, Fear not, Mary: for thou hast found favour with God. And, behold, thou shalt conceive in thy womb, and bring forth a son, and shalt call his name JESUS. He shall be great, and shall be called the Son of the Highest: and the Lord God shall give unto him the throne of his father David: And he shall reign over the house of Jacob for ever; and of his kingdom there shall be no end. Then said Mary unto the angel, How shall this be, seeing I know not a man? And the angel answered and said unto her, The Holy Ghost shall come upon thee, and the power of the Highest shall overshadow thee: therefore also that holy thing which shall be born of thee shall be called the Son of God. And, behold, thy cousin Elisabeth, she hath also conceived a son in her old age: and this is the sixth month with her, who was called barren. For with God nothing shall be impossible. And Mary said, Behold the handmaid of the Lord; be it unto me according to thy word. And the angel departed from her.

St. Gabriel has been given the title of archangel, which is one step above an angel. However, he has never been ranked with the seraphim. In the East St. Michael is considered prince of the seraphim, while in the West it is only prince of the angels.

I don’t know about that only being an Eastern belief…I truly believe he is the chief Angel in heaven…The “chief prince” as he is referred to. He is a member of the Seraphim. As far as Gabriel goes, I don’t know about him. The Scriptures dont allude to anything, but I have a feeling he is in the Seraphim. Being a Arch Angel does not prohibit them from being a Seraphim…I believe Gabriel, Raphael, and Michael are all Seraphim Archangels, with Michael being the head Angel of Heaven. That is just my personal beliefs and I could be wrong.
Psalm45:9:
St. Gabriel has been given the title of archangel, which is one step above an angel. However, he has never been ranked with the seraphim. In the East St. Michael is considered prince of the seraphim, while in the West it is only prince of the angels.

Have you ever noticed that sometimes Gabriel is referred to as “the man” Gabriel?

No I haven’t…what do you think the significance of that is?
40.png
gabriel7777:
Have you ever noticed that sometimes Gabriel is referred to as “the man” Gabriel?

I’m not an expert on angels, either. But, my general impression is that Gabriel is not a seraphim.

Something makes me think (like the book of Rev maybe) that there are just four seraphic angels and they constantly are worshipping God. So, it doesn’t make sense to me that the seraphim are dispatched by God to do anything else.

I think I just came across something that says that Satan was a seraphic angel, which tells you 1) how close to God Satan was and 2) what a betrayal Satan was guilty of.

I don’t know about the ranking of the “choirs” of angels. When Gabriel says he “stands” in the presence of God, that indicates to me anyway that he is truly magnificent in creation and exhalted to stand, rather than kneel and bow in the presence of God.

The figures above the ark of the covenant were I think supposed to represent seraphim, in constant adoration of God. Their wings were extended to form the Mercy Seat, where God was. I think there were two very large angels depicted in the Holy of Holies around the Ark.

Wasn’t there an angel by the name of Harold?

You know, Hark the Harold Angels sing?

Are you referring to the 4 horsemen of the Apocalypse? That is interesting. If this is the case, which four Angels are they? Is St. Michael one of them?
40.png
BayCityRickL:
I’m not an expert on angels, either. But, my general impression is that Gabriel is not a seraphim.

Something makes me think (like the book of Rev maybe) that there are just four seraphic angels and they constantly are worshipping God. So, it doesn’t make sense to me that the seraphim are dispatched by God to do anything else.

I think I just came across something that says that Satan was a seraphic angel, which tells you 1) how close to God Satan was and 2) what a betrayal Satan was guilty of.

I don’t know about the ranking of the “choirs” of angels. When Gabriel says he “stands” in the presence of God, that indicates to me anyway that he is truly magnificent in creation and exhalted to stand, rather than kneel and bow in the presence of God.

The figures above the ark of the covenant were I think supposed to represent seraphim, in constant adoration of God. Their wings were extended to form the Mercy Seat, where God was. I think there were two very large angels depicted in the Holy of Holies around the Ark.

The names of the seven archangels are: Michael, Gabriel, Raphael, Uriel, Brachiel, Jehudiel, and Sealtiel. The first three are mentioned in Canonical scripture. Whereas the other four are found in Apocryphal literature. Uriel is mentioned in the 2nd book of Esdras, which was in the appendix of the Latin Vulgate. For more info, check: the7archangels.com/

40.png
BayCityRickL:
Wasn’t there an angel by the name of Harold?

You know, Hark the Harold Angels sing?
Tee hee. Love it. I believe these were the angels that delivered the baby furniture from the Wayina furniture store to Mary and Joseph…you know, a Wayina manger??..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back